2 pickups, vol/tone, vol/tone diagram

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jongor, Jul 7, 2005.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    I have a 2 pickups system (EMG's) that I want to control with 4 knobs. A vol and a tone for each pickup.

Can I wire each pickup as though it were a single pickup with one vol and one tone, but connect both output wires to the same lug on the output jack?
  2. fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    you could try stacking your volume and tone knobs and then just wiring them to the output jack.
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

yeh you can do that but I don't know that the signal would be any different than if they were wired in the conventional fashion. My guess is, probably not, cause manufacturers never wire them like that to my knowledge.

At any rate, they wouldn't be totally independent. It's been my experience that even with two pups ran to seperate jacks, if they use a common ground it can alter tone to a noticeable degree cuase they are connected through ground. May have something to do with resistance. Which doesn't mean tone is better or worse or even worthy of concern, just noticeably different.
  4. vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    my washburn's got two volumes n two tones. one for each pick up. ill check it out later and get back to you on how it's wired.
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

You will get better results wiring tones before volumes.
    Even like this, in a passive system, tone pots will interact with each other.
    2 tone pots work fine on a guitar because you keep switching from one PU to the other.
    On a bass, you'll be better off with a single tone control.