2 pre into one power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rvl, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan

Found this but wanted to know has anyone done it and how it worked out?

From what I understand I would need 2 a/b boxes. One a/b out front to switch the bass to SWR or Trace. The second a/b to switch preamp (Trace or SWR) into the power amp

At present I run a SWR head with a Trace Elliot preamp into the effect receive jack and a A/B box to switch between the SWR and Trace v-type preamps.

Thinking of switching over to a QSC power amp and 2 separate pre-amps and running mono into a single speaker.

Robert VanLane
  2. What about plugging the bass into the SWR head. Running a cable from the TUNER OUT into the Trace pre and then back into the SWR FX return. Choose which pre would like by using the FX BLEND knob on the SWR. According to SWR, the TUNER OUT is unaffected, no knobs will change the sound (although I find that there is a little more gain from this jack than if I plugged my bass direct).

Does that make sence? Even though you're plugging your bass into the SWR, by using the TUNER OUT you are giving the Trace pre a dry, unaffected signal.

This set up doesn't allow you to run another power amp though. Sorry.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    your other option is this
    run a cable from your bass into the swr's input
    run a cable from the swr "tuner out" to the trace preamp's regular input
    run a cable from the "line out" of both preamps to an A/B box
    run a cable from the output of the A/B box to your poweramp
  4. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    OK...I'm reeeeally liking this idea. I have on the way and older Peavey tube pre and a Bmax.

I was thinking the Peavey would get my Ibanez Phat Head and use that setup for my overdrive....
    The Bmax would get my Boss Chorous and would be my clean channel...

I like this last idea...but the combinations are confusing me that are rattling in my head...

I would like to be able to switch between them...AND...combine the two, if possible???

Any ideas???????
  5. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI

How about this??

Bass to...some sort of signal splitter, one to the Peavey/Phat Head...one to the Bmax/Chourus...then output from each to an A/B Combine box...then to channel 1 of my QSC, (bridged)???

Oh Boy!!!!!! :confused:
  6. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI