Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 Precision Pickups on bass - any ID ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deep Rumble, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Deep Rumble

Deep Rumble

Aug 24, 2001
    Olympia WA
    Hi
    I just picked up a bass body from the infamous garage sale. It has no makers mark that I can find. It is a composite body ( looks like about 20 layers in there ) with 1 bridge and 1 neck pickup. Both pick ups are Precisions and it looks like a mirror configuration. In addtion, there is a slot just below the neck routing to accomodate the truss rod nut. Any ideas what kind of bass this could be ? I have only seen 1 bass with the truss rod adjustment at the base of the neck and it was Russian made. Thanks :)

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I dunno about the "composite" thingie...did it look
    like one of these? --

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Deep Rumble

Deep Rumble

Aug 24, 2001
    Olympia WA
    The position of the pickups is correct. It has a traditional bass shape. By looking into the Neck recess or the body cavities you can see layers of wood like plywood. I hate to use the word plywood because of the conotations. I guess you would call it a laminate ?

I am being held hostage at work at the moment. When I get off I will try and post a pic

4. Deep Rumble

Deep Rumble

Aug 24, 2001
    Olympia WA
    Here are three pictures that might help. Could this be an old gibson ? OK - here is one picture. I having a little trouble with this. 2 pictures to follow on next posts.

Thanks

5. Deep Rumble

Deep Rumble

Aug 24, 2001
    Olympia WA
    here is the second picture

6. Deep Rumble

Deep Rumble

Aug 24, 2001
    Olympia WA
    final picture

Thanks