Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 (probably) dumb questions...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    What is the purpose of the capacitor, soldered to the tone pot? Also, any harm in using copper wiring to make the connections? Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. the tone-pot shortcuts the signal with the ground. the capacitor evens out the shortcut, which makes the signal sound muffled.

it's the basic principle of a lowpass filter :)

using blank copper wire is a bad idea.. it will shortcut the signals where they should not be shotcut. use shielded copper wire, and it's fine.. I use silver wire myself, but that's not for any particular reason.. i just happened to buy some of it at a very good price last year, and i'm using it ever since :D

3. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    So, what would leaving the capacitor off accomplish?

I used speaker wire (like, 18-gauge car speaker wire) to make all of my connections. Good?

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The copper wire is fine. The capacitor is part of what's called an RC circuit (resistance-capacitance). The tone potentiometer is a variable resistor. The resistance combines with the capacitance to create a variable bandpass filter, which shorts a specific band of frequencies to ground, while letting others go out the jack to your amp. If you turn up the pot, in this case, it shorts treble frequencies and passes more bass to the amp.

So, now the answer to your question. If you leave out the capacitor, you'll have two volume controls. The cap is a critical component of the tone circuit. Don't leave it out, and use the value of capacitance indicated on the schematic. The higher the value of the cap, the more treble cut you get.

5. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Thanks for the info, guys! Much appreciated!