Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 pu, vol-passivetone-activetone Wiring Diagram

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jongor, Mar 7, 2005.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I just built a Warmoth parts bass, that can be seen in another forum, and would like to do something a little different for the wiring.

The bass has 2 soapbar pickups, with hot, ground, and a shield ground, and an OBP-1 preamp.

What I'd like to have for controls is:
    1 Volume with push/pull for series/parallel
    1 Passive Tone with push/pull for normal/slight decrease in neck pickup volume
    1 Treble Tone for the OBP-1
    1 Bass Tone for the OBP-1

I found a diagram for the passive tone roll-off on Aguilar's website, but I'm not sure how to do the push/pull to decrease the neck pickup volume.
    I got the idea from a Roscoe Beck I used to have. I know there's a resistor in there somewhere but have yet to figure out where.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  3. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Thanks Dave,

Any idea what the CAP between the vol and tone pots does?

4. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Ok, I have the wiring worked out.

Any glaring mistakes?

Does the output jack ground ring need to be grounded with the pots?

Diagram

5. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    A somewhat related question... Does anyone know why the passive tone pot's wiring diagram on Aguilar's site seems different from the usual wiring for a tone pot in passive systems? Is there a reason for this?

6. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Bump, can anyone explain this to me? Does it make a difference whether they're wired one way or another, or is it essentially the same?

7. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I can't explain why it works, but it does work.

The signal from the pu usually goes to the middle leg, which is attached to the "wiper" that varies the resistance as the pot is turned. When it's turned all the way to one side there's a direct connection to that leg, no resistance.

So, when the passive tone pot is all the way to the "hot" side (where the blue wire's connected) it has a direct connection to the middle leg, which in turn is connected to ground (through the capacitor). Since the signal goes through the cap only certain frequencies pass thus changing the tone.

Or something like that..... ;)

But you're right, if you compare it to a standard P bass wiring it is different.