Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 Pup Stingray sighting @ GC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by syciprider, Dec 16, 2005.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Black with rosewood f/b and black pearloid pup and the righteous 3 band EQ. $1200ish. It was nice. If it had a maple f/b it would probably be in my home now.

The shelf for the thumb on the pup edge was reshaped. It's more like the Bongo's shelves in styling. Weighs less than a 1PU Ray because more wood has to be taken out.

For you SoCalers, this was in the San Marcos GC (Nordahl exit on the 78).

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

^ D'oh, not near me...

Figure it might near Hollywood by now, or was that just one?

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wow, how did she sound?

4. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    There is one in San Bernardino(GC) also. Egyptian Smoke w/Moonstone pickguard and rosewood board.

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I wasn't familiar with the 5 way switch settings but by tapping on the pups I found a position where both were on. It was like a very fat, very full but still distinctively Ray like tone. I was running it through (what else?) a Peg 810.

6. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I live in SD, but the San Marcos store is like 40min north of me. That's where I got my SSII5 though, cause the Grossmont store was sold out. I may have to take a trip north this weekend......

7. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    They sound like a Stinray with the extra tone option of a phat Humbucker at the neck. Kinda how you would imagine it would sound. Pretty nice I'd say. BTW the color you saw at GC was most likely Saphire Black. Most of the GC's are getting the same Saphire Black SR4 HH's and Honey Burst SR5 HH's.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I bleeb Dude has a double H buttercreme ray on the way. If you're interested, I'd get on the horn to him or Bovine pretty quick. That thing won't last 5 minutes after he posts pics of it.

9. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Replacing some body wood with a big magnet makes it lighter? Huh. I guess I'm not making the connection.

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    So, as much as Sterling Ball says the 2pu Ray is nothing like a Sabre, it happens to sound exactly like my Sabre. :p

11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Is there any room for slapping with the second humbucker so far up toward the neck?

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    We have one like that at the store I work at and it absolutely kills. It just came in a few days ago.

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Let me help you. Wood has to be taken out to accomodate more wiring and a 5 way switch as well. Not just a relatively light pick up. :bassist:

14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I'm beating myself up for forgetting to try this. Anyway, I'm swinging back there today. I bought some strings but didn't notice that I got 50-105 vice my preferred 45-100. I'll plug the Ray in and slap out a quick Aeroplane and see.

15. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    It should be alright, because it still has the traditional number of frets. Once of the reasons people have difilcultie with the Bongo is due to the 24 frets.

I don't think Sterling really had a big problem with the sound. His issues were more with the playability and design. One of his main complaints was the additional magnets in the neck humbucker were so strong that it impaired string vibration above the 10th fret. He specifically argued this with Leo Fender, but got overuled.

16. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Played an HH Ray5 @ the GC here in Chicago [Fullerton stop of Red line]. Man, it was nice. I liked the way it sounded all around. I can see one in my future.

17. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I just played a blackish-grey HH Ray at GC. It was very sweet.

18. jgrotto

jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Boston
    I was looking around for one of these. Got a G&L L2000 instead. Couldn't be happier. But then again, it could lend a hand around the house and earn its keep. Lazy bass.

19. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Dude...I played a similar one at GC in SF...it was suh-weet. I want one bad!