1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2 pups/stereo; both pots need to be on?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by billoetjen, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Hi,

I just modded my SX P clone by adding a Dimarzio Model One (DP120).

I gave each pup its own stacked vol/tone, and wired the output from each vol pot to its own stud on a stereo jack (common ground). Using full stereo cabling everything works fine. That is, TRS instrument cable to a stereo Y splitter. I swap first one plug into my amp and I get the Model One. Then I swap the other output from the y to the amp and I get the P. Sweet.
    I take the Y out of the signal and use a Stereo to mono adapter (Hosa model GPP290 "• Sums stereo left and right to mono") and things get a little funky. I have to have both vols up to get a signal. I'd like to have control over which pup is on and how much. If I turn down one vol, it seems to turn down both. Hmmmm. :meh:
    Any ideas? Something obvious that I'm missing?

2. Why would you want a stereo instrument and plug into a mono amp?

3. That's a legitimate question...

The separate channels are for studio work. That way, each channel can be mixed/eq'ed as befits the overall mix.

I also haven't invested in separate rigs for live (as Billy Sheehan uses). That would be nice, but not on my horizon. Not that that wouldn't be coooool. ;)
    Anybody have any theories explaining why summing the two channels won't let them act independently?

Thanks as always.

4. If using a mono plug in a stereo jack, one of the "hot" connectors will be going to ground.

That could be the root of the problem, maybe ?

5. Using a common ground may be the problem, just a guess.

6. Mohawk, thanks for the thoughts, but neither of the hots is getting grounded. I'm using a TRS cable; one end in the stereo jack, the other into a "summing" stereo to mono adapter. To test the layout, I tap a string against a pole piece on each pickup. They both respond with that distinctive "pop". That is, if both vol pots are turned up. If I turn one all the way down, both channels disappear.
    There is some room for adjustment. If I turn one pot all the way up and back off on the other, the balance goes the way I want. But, it would be nice to be able to have the same kind of control that I have with my other vol/vol basses. Curious.
    And, by the way, the addition of the Model One is exactly what I wanted to add to the P sound. A nice, thick, underline of BASS. Very authoritative. Almost too much for the 15" combos I have.

7. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    I got the same conficuration on my attitude, look for an attitude schematic, maybe you get ideas :)