Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 Q's: Ampeg vt22 for bass? And info about dummy loads?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bongomania, Jan 6, 2006.

1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hi,
    Has anyone here used an Ampeg VT22 for bass? Any idea what mods would be needed to make it more suited to bass?

Also, if I have an old tube amp with only a speaker output (no line out), what is the best way to run that amp's sound to a mixing board? I know there are boxes out there like the THD Hotplate, but I haven't tried them and I've heard conflicting reviews. What the best box or mod for getting a line level output from (or bypassing) a speaker output?

Thanks!

2. Maybe bass speakers?

Im not sure otherwise, and for sending to a mixing board, mic'ing a speaker cab from the amp would be the best way, or, if the amp has an effects loop, use the effects send out, or a preamp out, if theres nothing else other than the speaker output, im not sure what you could do other than using a device such as the Hotplate

3. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Back in 1972, my band had an extra VT22, and I was in search of a more powerful head for my bass. So I cut up the cabinet and used the head with a Sunn 2-15 bottom. Worked great.

Same as a V4-B but with reverb and tremolo (and no, I didn't use those for bass!).