1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 questions about a Lane Poor/EMG BTS setup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jontom, May 17, 2012.

1. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I have a Warwick Fortress with Lane Poor PJ pickups and an EMG BTS preamp running on 9 volts. I have 2 questions regarding this setup:
    1) I'd like two convert to 18 volts. Will I damage the pickups?
    I was reading some info I found online regarding the Lane Poor preamp(that came with the pickups) and it said that it could only run @ 9 volts. I'm guessing that this was referring only to the preamp and not the pickups- just wanted to make certain.
    2) Everything is working well except for the blend control. When I sweep either way I get a sound similar to wind through a microphone. I've never heard this sound out of a bass and I'm actually pondering its usage musically(I can scratch like a DJ!). If turned fast enough- It has a sound like a karate chop sound effect(hand through air). Its not a scratchy pot(I've heard those before!)...

2. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Speak a little louder... can't hear you.
    I've played hundreds of loud concerts...

3. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    I have an EMG BTS with a pair of Lane Poor M3.5Ws in my Hamer Chaparral 12-string bass.

Running the EMG preamp on 18 V will have no impact on the pickups. The pickups are passive and are not connected to the battery. Using a higher voltage provides more headroom. However, given the relatively low output of the Lane Poors, I'm not sure there will be much, if any, advantage over 9 V.

Dirty contacts are the usual cause of potentiometer noise. Another possibility is incorrect wiring. Hard to say without seeing/hearing it. Have you tried some contact cleaner?

4. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Thanks! I did use compressed air then contact cleaner-
    no difference...