Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 questions about Hartke HA4000 with a GK 410BLX.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SonofDadBass, Sep 12, 2005.

1. SonofDadBass

SonofDadBass

Sep 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Hello,

I have been reading the forum for a while but this is my first post. I have couple questions that I was hoping someone could help me out with. I would appreciate it immensely.

1) I recently bought a used Hartke HA4000 amp (rated to 400w and 4 ohms). I gigged with it last night using a brand new GK 410BLX II Backline series cab (400w, 8ohms).

After only one song the PROTECT light began coming on and turning the sound off. The volume knob on the amp was at 5 and the bass was not up all the way.

I turned down the volume a bit and that seemed to remedy the situation but I was wondering what could have caused this.

Overheating?

I downloaded the manual which wasn't any help.

I play a mid 1970s Univox P Bass.

Also,
    2) Would the following combination be feasible?

Hartke HA 4000 (400w, 4ohms)
    GK 410BLX (400w, 8ohms)
    GK 115BLX(200w, 8ohms)

How high could I go without risking damage to the 115?

Again, I appreciate any input. I have only been playing for a little over a year and am still learning the tricks of the trade.

Take it easy,

Dan

2. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Sounds like that should have been fine. Methinks you just discovered why the Hartke was sold . . . . .

- Tim

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    You were just pushing the amp too hard. 200 watts into a single 410 is not going to be that loud. definitely not rock gig load if you include a reasonably zealoused drummer.

If you pushed the EQ at all to get more bass out of it, it would be very easy to overload that amp.

Adding that 115 would create no risk for the cab or amp. Each cab will "see" about 200 watts. Although, I think you'll get more volume by adding another 410.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Are you using good quality SPEAKER cables?

5. SonofDadBass

SonofDadBass

Sep 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks to those who replied.

Two problems on my part concerning the PROTECT LIGHT.

1) I was using an instrument cable not a speaker cable.
    2) My bass (active) was plugged into the passive input.

I have rememedied both and am hoping that the problem was more related to my ignorance than the possibility that the amp just sucks.

Thanks again,

Dan

6. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I've got the HA4000 as well, running into a 410 VX and had to get a couple caps replaced inside b/c the protect light kept coming on. Mine was happening at any volume though, and was happening VERY frequently. Keep an eye on the amp and see if this keeps happening, you may need to have it repaired... but maybe it was just the cord and input thing!

Good Luck, let me know what you find out... I haven't gigged with mine yet (gig coming up next month) but am feeling a little trepidatious about it.

:bassist:

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Also, where did you have the bass frequencies set? If you turn the bass control all the way up, that will induce clipping espescially if you were just using 1 8ohm cab. You were not getting the full 400w out of that amp.

8. SonofDadBass

SonofDadBass

Sep 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    All of the knobs on the EQ were set at or below five or equivalent measure.

Volume was at five also and the instrument was probably 3/4 of the way up.

I bought the amp used from Guitar Center. It was a good price and now I am hoping I won't regret it (but I still have 28 days to return it).

I have only really tested it at performance volume once because my neighbors don't like the rattling windows.

I have a gig on Saturday and I am a bit nervous about using the head. I am going to try testing it in a friend's garage before then.

Again, it still seems to me the amp shouldn't be stopping in the situation I described above.

Dan

9. did you say you WERE using a intrument cable. that is the quickist way to BLOW UP you amp. their is a reason speaker cables are not sheilded, it creats an extra ground makes your amp show that little white smoke when it decides not to play nice. go to the music store, readio shack, wherever they sell speaker cable and buy it. unless you really want to pay to get a new head or fix that one.

10. rkscott7

rkscott7

Nov 7, 2007
    Do you still have that bass head? I am completely reworking one and i need a transformer. Let me know if you want to sell it for parts. Kevin

Willy-D likes this.