Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 questions about upgrading to a Power/Pre setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by echo008, Apr 27, 2005.

1. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I am going to be upgrading my setup from an Eden wt400 to a power amp /pre amp setup this month. Since this is my first time out with a setup like this I wanted to ask ahead of time what kind of cables are going to be needed to connect an
    Avalon U5 to a QSC PLX 1202?

also, I dont normally play at crazy loud volumes, but want to hook it up for optimized use, I currently have an Avatar 2x10 (1/4 inch inputs only) but will eventually get a second cab (either a 15 or a 12). Do you think running this setup into a single cab for the time being is wise or is it too much power to put into a single small cab (I know it can be done, but am I putting my cab into serious risk of getting blown)?
    thanks
    - Tom

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The U5 will either have 1/4" or XLR outputs, hopefully a U5 owner will let you know. That corresponds to either a regular 1/4" instument cable or a microphone cable (respectively) from the Avalon to the PLX, which accepts either.

If your cabinet accepts speakon connectors, I reccomend using those for the speakers.

Before you get the other cab, you can just run one side of the power amp into the cab you have and leave the other idle ... works like a charm, and you won't go blowing your cabinet up by accident.

3. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hi ... that seems easy enough ... XLR out from the avalon to the PA (channel 1) and then 1/4 inch from the PA to my avatar (for now). My avatar has only a 1/4 inch jack.
    thanks
    - Tom

4. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    echo008 - you are asking the same questions that I had last week about my new setup. U5 into a qsc PLX 1602. I will use a XLR to go into the Power amp (the ONLY way you can go into the power amp without a preamp.) 1/4" jack is for going through to the front end of another amp. You can select to use the gain and eq of the U5 or to rout your bass sound directly to the amp. But the through jack does not put out enough voltage to be useful going straight into a power amp. Simple answer- use an XLR cable from the power amp out on the U5 to the QSC input. I like Hotwiredcables@aol.com (ebay store) because they use top notch mogami balanced cable and Neutrik xlr connertos - and they do custom lengths. Try finding a 24" mic cable. it was a bit expensive at $16 for the cable but premium components and an excellent soldering job (yeah I took it apart to look inside.)

Next use a 12 gauge Speakon. The best way to send out all that power. I can't remark on cabinet choice yet though.

Hope that helps

~Mike

5. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hi Mike... yes that helps ... thanks
    I will definitely want to use the gain and eq on the U5 so no problems there, as for the cable I happen to have a nice new mic cable from Bayou cables but it is a little long Would you think it would be a problem using a longer cable ...meaning, I should not have any issues with signal quality?

As well when going out of the PA I should use a 12 gauge Speakon to 1/4 inch ... cool, I think thats what I was getting a little hung up on to.
    - Tom

6. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I forgot to ask how you are liking your new setup?

I was looking at the Stewart world 1.2 PA also but decided to go QSC because of heat issues I have read about on the 1.2.
    - Tom

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Once a signal has been "balanced" by a direct box or preamp, a long run of cable will not hurt the signal much if at all. It will be annoying dragging all that cable though.

8. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    AHHH... very cool then. the cable itself is I think 6 foot, not too bad for the time being.
    thanks