Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 questions about Walkabout Scout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gus Autine, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Gus Autine

Gus Autine

Aug 25, 2000
    New York, NY
    Thanks in advance for any responses.

1. Has anyone used a Scout along with an Aguilar GS112, and if so, comments please? (I play an early '70s Jazz Bass, mainly for classic rock, R&B, folk, and other old people stuff.)

2. Does anyone know if Mesa sells just the Scout cabinet, without the Walkabout head?

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    No.

Yes.

3. the scout cab comes in two models.a 1x15 and 1x12...both models have a downward firing"passive radiator" and they are available in 4 or 8 ohm,they also use neodeium(sp?) magnets which make the cabs very light..I can't comment on the 12,but the 15 roars

4. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    The 12 roars as well and the sucker is feather light ..pretty amazing!

5. Gus Autine

Gus Autine

Aug 25, 2000
    New York, NY
    I appreciate the replies. My questions arise from a case of slow-release GAS - - courtesy of TB.

Thanks to TB, a few years ago I was able to identify what was wrong with my 25 year-old setup: everything.

Also thanks to TB, I found out that what I needed was a WM12. (I play out only occasionally, and usually in small to medium size venues.)

I loved it. Then, thanks to TB, I found out I needed a SABDDIl. I got one.

I loved this setup even more.

Then I found out I needed an extension cabinet. Discovered the GS112 - - thanks to TB.

Loved the sound of the GS112 as an extension cab.

Then I discovered that I needed a separate amp to unleash more of the GS112's potential. Heard about the Walkabout (guess where?), and after comparing it with several other heads in the same general class, I got one. (The SABDDI is now back in the box.)

I loved, and still love, the Walkabout with the GS112.

Then a few gigs later, it occurs to me that because I have an 8 ohm GS112, I am not getting the full potential out of the Walkabout. I now "need" another 8 ohms cabinet to pair with the GS112. Why not the Scout?

I don't know that I have any choice in the matter....

6. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    HEHEHEHE I have been hit with GAS from TB quite a bit myself. Mostly from Benjamin Strange. I was using an Ampeg SVT3 Pro with a PR410 cab or an Ampeg BA115hp for smaller gigs. But thanks to Mr. Strange posting pics of his custom Scout, I had to go play one....GAS hit, $1600 and an Ampeg sale later and I am a Boogie boy :D

7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I blame him too :D

8. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    i've got a Walkabout head with 2 GS112s. Tons of volume and damn sweet tone!

9. dedmyers

dedmyers

Dec 23, 2003
    Tennessee
    I also have the Walkabout with 2 GS112's. But I have been gassing for a scout cab. The only issue is that recently I started noticing a rattle in the amp at certain frequency's (already being discussed in another forum) and the direct mounting of the Walkabout to the Scout would probably not help.