1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 questions and a thanks!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by WallyN, Oct 23, 2013.

1. WallyN

WallyN

Jan 11, 2013
    Hey there,

Ok I have two questions and a thanks. I solicited string advice and based on the advice, just purchased a set of Chromes for my newest bass (my 2011 American Standard P). So far they sound great so thanks..

As I was stringing them up I know I was told to stretch them and I have done so but my question is how many times should this be done?

Also as I was installing them, I used the string through body method and since this is my first bass to have string through, I was wondering what the difference is? Some people have told me it will give more sustain but is that the only difference?

2. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I have always preferred to use flats top loaded, vs STB ... I know some people do STB, but there are also many of us that do not ... Labella has actually came out with a STB flat vs their previously available flatwounds (which they do not recommend to be STB) ... I use Chromes, have several gauges strung on basses, and I really can't imagine ever having a problem with sustain on any of them top loaded ... I even stuff foam at the bridge to tame them down sometimes ... I just like the idea of as straight of a run as possible on flatwounds, with just the simple creases at the two witness points ... JMHO ...

.. glad you are digging the Chromes ... flats can be an exhausting (and expensive) search .. with regards to the stretching, I usually just give them a good pull up a couple times and then retune ... I may do that a few times the first day or two and then just play the twang out of 'em ..