1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 questions for dimarzio model J users

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pickles, Oct 12, 2013.

1. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    1. What onboard preamps do you use and do you run series or parallel? Im running in series and seem to be overdriving the input of my sadowsky pre. Sounds amazing, even the distortion sounds good in a GK GIVE kind of way. But id prefer clean.

2. My polepieces on the bridge pick have rough spots that grab my fingertip skin, are there and aftermarket polepieces that are really smoothly beveled, or any diy tips for msking them super smooth?

Love these pickups!

2. the polepieces are allen screws so you can low or rise the poles. Just adjust them lower...

3. Seems like it wouldn't be too much trouble to have a machinist chuck up a dowel and bore a hole with a lathe, and then thread it to accept the pole pieces to a fixed depth, to allow beveling of the heads. Of course, you would lose the (black oxide?) coating, but that could probably be touched up with a Sharpie or something.

The other option, as maturanesa pointed out, would be to lower the pole pieces further into the cover, if your radius and pickup height preferences allow.

4. +1

I run a pair passive in parallel, with 500k pots VVTT

5. I have these and a East Retro J preamp in one of my fretless j basses and love the sound with tapewounds.

6. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Series or paralell?

7. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    I normally run an Audere for J basses but I have one bass built around these pickups and I use a Nordstrand 2 band in parallel.
    V-V-B/T Passive toggle.

8. Sorry Pickles- forgot to add -this bass is wired parallel . I have another fretless jazz with SCNs , passive , with a push/ pull series / parallel switch. Don't have the option with the Di Marzio / East set up and didn't want to be in series all the time .