1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 questions for those "in the know"

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tmusic101, Mar 15, 2008.

1. OK. First, I bought the bass in the picture B stock with this gouge in it & wanted to know if anyone here can tell me how to fix it. It's pretty much totally in the black part.

Second, I have a dedicated practice room in my garage with heavily insulated walls & ceiling & concrete floor with vinyl tile.

Where I live, we have drastic temperature & humidity changes in any given 24 hour period. Does anyone have ideas on an economic way to stabilize my room to prevent any unwanted damage to my basses?

Thanks

T

Attached Files:

2. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    Oh, this is though man. But I am sure help is on the way! Come on guys, help save this baby :D

3. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Cheap fix.... Sharpie Black permanenet marker :) No joke.

4. YIt sounds dumb but you need to stabilise the temperature and humidity changes within the room to make it soutable to store valuable instruments in. No rocket science or trick here. Heaters and humidity control. That's as economic as you can hope for.

5. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Heater on a timer (and/or window A/C maybe), one of those cheap timers you can put yard lights on. And, it's not cheap but I bought a large dehumidifier ($300) for my basement. It sucks like 3 gallons of water per day out of the air, when needed.

6. Yeah, that would do except the gouge is quite deep. I was hoping maybe somebody had some experience filling these types of gouges & then color matching them.

I suppose wood filler would work, but it's not ALL wood that needs filling.

7. Hey, the timer might just be the ticket. I hadn't thought about that. I've got a window A/C in there now for summer months although I'm not sure if that would be a blessing or a curse when it's raining.

Thanks

T

8. Hi.

I'd use (and have) model putty or an automotive filler as those don't usyally shrink and crack. Plus the surface is ready for the primer after the final sanding. Color matching? Looks black to me on that spot ;).

As for the environment control, dehumidifier is the ticket IMHO.

Regards
    Sam

9. Good info, thanks Sam.

T

10. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    You could fill it with epoxy mixed with black dye.

11. Arx

Arx

Jan 22, 2008
    autobody filler would probably work fine and be fairly easy to sand/file to match the curve.

Timer seems kind of dumb. If you're trying to control the temperature a thermostat is what you need.

Humidity control obviously depends what the issue is. Too dry isn't going to be great either, especially if you have any accoustic instruments.

12. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    +1

Or, so you don't have to do all that mixing, Stew-Mac sells mediium viscosity black CA glue (like a thicker superglue, basically)...

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Glues,_...er_Glues/2/Stewart-MacDonald_Super_Glues.html

Several applications over a few hours or even days will fill the void, and then once you have filled it above the level of the prevoius finish, just carefully sand or scrape it flush and buff it out with some Meguir's polishing compound (available at most auto parts stores).

13. 2lim

2lim

Feb 25, 2007
    An old trick for filling dings in skis was to layer on black nail polish.... just ask your local emo kids ot borrow theirs!

Simon

14. Nelson Guitars

Nelson Guitars

Aug 14, 2006
    Novato California
    Custom builder
    Keeping the entire room RH controlled can cause more expense and problems than you think. If you don't have your vapor barriers correct for your climate (it changes by local environmental concerns) you can cause significant dry rot in the walls due to condensation . Think of a cold glass of lemonade on a hot summer day.

If you don't control RH all the time you may as well not control it at all. You might want to consider an RH controlled closet for your instruments. Smaller space = less energy and less trouble keeping it within range.

Greg N