Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 questions for you to ponder

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Si-bob, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Hey
    i'm thinking of building...or rather assembling a bass using Allparts (they have an outlet in the town where i'm going to Uni, and also Wal are situated there :) :) )
    i have a couple of questions regarding Necks and bridges.

What are the advantages of a Moses Graphite neck, over a generic wood neck? i'v heard that it can reduce sympathetic vibrations, goes out of tune less etc, but does the tone suffer?

Also, are there any advantages to 'Mono-rail' bridges (eg. on Ibanez BTB's) i'v heard that it can reduce cross string resonance because each string has its own 'mini bridge'? they do look cool! :)

cheers

*Si*

2. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I've never owned a bass with a graphite neck but I had thought about building a bass before (actually I did in high school....now it's a nice looking wall hanging in my basement:eek: ...that one doesn't count) and I checked into a getting a graphite neck and my understanding was that the necks were more stable (less adjusting and going out of tune) and that they were neutral as far as adding color to the overall bass tone. I'm sure you'll get some more experienced opinions......I just posted what I remember being told 15-ish years ago. Good luck with your project Grasshopper:D

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    After owning a bass with a monorail bridge, I didn't really notice any difference. Then again, nothing beats good muting technique. With that, it doesn't really matter.

4. thnx fer the replies, keep em coming
    i do realise that muting is more to do with technique then materials etc, i don't actually have ANY troubles with my muting, but it all helps :)

*Si*