Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 questions (I'm new to this)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperSluggard, Jan 2, 2004.

1. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    1. I'm in a punk band that plays pretty fast and I need a really good low sound. I'm looking for a guitar that has 4-strings and is under $300 or only a little more than that. I think I'm going to go with a fretted one only because I don't think I can afford a fretless, even though I like the sound. I had a Fender P-Bass that I got for $220, but all of the strings rattled and the D-string made a weird screeching noise as well. So I'm taking that back and going to shop around for another bass.

2. I've got a Crate amp and the guitarist in the band I'm in has a nice amp that goes really loud, much louder than my amp can go. It's kinda hard to hear my bass when he has his turned all the way up so I have to push my amp to it's limits. I turn everthing all the way up and a light blinks that is labeled "limit." It's next to the volume. Could I damage it by playing too loud? Should I get a better amp? This one cost $170 and it was on sale. What do you reccomend? Also, we're going to have another guitarist most likely, so that's two people playing electric guitars and it'll be impossible to hear the bass.

Okay, so that's a few more questions than 2, but try to answer what you can and maybe someone else will have the answer to another question you couldn't answer.

Thanks very much. :D

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    First of all welcome. If the sound you really like is a P-bass, might I recommend a Fender MIM Precision? Drop a Basslines Quarter Pounder in there and you're off to punk heaven IMO. Second, if you only have one bass, better off to be fretted. An amateur playing a fretless in a band situiation is horrid. Believe me, you'll notice the slightest difference in intonation immediately.

What do you mean your D string made wierd noises and your strings rattled? Perhaps fretbuzz that can be fixed with a setup? Perhaps you have a broken or loose solder joint. Before you return it, you may want to have it looked at by the place you bought it from. It should still be under their warranty, and if they can't fix it, return it.

First of all, what kind of amp are you up against? Is it a half-stack? Combo? Tube? Solid state? How many watts? That's what really decides what kind of power you need.

When your "limit" light is on, it means you're overpowering your preamp which will give you distorted sounds and will eventually ruin your amp. Don't push it too hard.

If you're getting a new guitarist, it's time you upgrade as well. Plenty can be had out there for good prices, if money is an issue, some like Hartke and Behringer. (I personally don't but I'm primarilly rock and metal) Head down to your local Guitar Center and play everything they have, and look a bit above your price range too, better to wait a bit for better equipment than to constantly replace your gear.

Anyway, best of luck with the band and bass playing!

3. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    You can probably use the search function on here..type in some keywords and check out those threads. There is a lot of threads that get covered over and over here and it's usually much easier to search for a thread...and then if you don't find anything then you start a new thread and ask. Not to be rude but it's just we get tired of going over the same stuff again and again..now as far as your questions
    Your bass...all it probably needed was a professional setup. It should work fine for punk.
    and your amp...crate is not the best..and that limit light..that means your clipping your power section of your combo amp and it can damage the speaker. A couple links I can lead you to are the following.
    www.avatarspeakers.com
    They are good speakers at an inexpensive price. As far as amps...look for something with no less than 300 watts..gallien krueger is good, you can pick up an 800rb for around 400 bucks and it will be plenty loud. But like I said..do a little research and if you can't find specific answers to your questions..then come back and we can help out a bit more.

Dan

4. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    You might also want to check out used equipment, such as MTD or Fender basses (which are mostly excellent quality, and can be had @ ~$300). Talkbass.com has a classifieds section and Ebay is ok too.

Personally, when I was in a punk band 5 years ago, I played with a Hartke 3500 head, a Hartke TP410, and a Hartke TP410. It was a little much, but it got the job done. :cool:

5. Basses I'm going to go with the rest and say get a setup on that thing and if you end up still returning it, get a diff P-Bass, they are the best for punk IMO.

As for amps, I used to have to go over drums, 2 guitars and an amp for vocals with my SWR LA15 (only 100 watts) but now I got a 26 year old Peavey Mark III head which works wonderfully (and sounds awesome for the age) and my Hartke 410VX cab should be here Monday so I'll be putting out around 300watts and will easily be able to go over 2 guitars and drums and vocals. Problem with the Mark III - It's hard to get one on eBay that doesn't have anything wrong with it (I searched through like 10 or so before I found mine that was still in perfect working order).

If you don't want to go the Peavey route, I say the Hartke heads would probably do you good (don't know how they sound though, do a search in the amps forum. As for cabs...from what I've heard from a bunch of people is that Avatar cabs are way better than Hartke cabs. I'm going Hartke because of the great deal I got on the 4x10. Avatar speakers are solid cabs, can handle up to 1000watts I believe and sound great. I believe one member here, Eric Cioe, has a gallien krueger head and a couple avatar cabs and I have his band's CD and they sound totally awesome. They handle the lows really well as long as the highs (this is known for sure since he plays 7 strings).

So yeah, that's my .02, good luck in your search. Sorry if I was vague on some parts, I'm not good at this "long" post stuff :p

Best Regards,
    Tyler Hole

edit: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111128 <---Hartke Amps! Check that thread out, some good info for you.

6. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Hey, thanks for your help everyone. I tryed out a bunch of different basses at Sam Ash and Guitar Center and decided to return the Fender P-Bass, and get a Brownsville with 4 strings and 1 big pickup. It goes louder than the Fender and it sounds better. They had two of the same Brownsville bass and I tried the other one and it sounded horrible so the one I got just must of been really well made. I bought a SWR 100 watt amp, it's competition was an Ampeg 100 watt amp for 50 bucks more (450). I went with the SWR because it sounded better, and it produced more sound rather than just that bassey under tone, if you know what I mean. It seemed louder as well.

The Brownsville guitar that I bought has a big flame on it and it is shaped weird which is not the reason I got it, but it looks cool and boosts my self esteem. Its also a lot lighter than the Fender I originally bought.

Thanks again everybody.

By the way the guitar was $240.