2 Questions on my new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikarre, Jun 2, 2004.

1. mikarre

mikarre Guest

Just got a new Ibanez SR 505 today. So far I have zero complaints and I really couldn't be happier with it. I have 2 questions though.

1) What do I use on the finish? It's wood, maybe oiled? I used to own a Warwick which required the wax polishing every so often. Should I use something like that, or would tung oil be better, or something else entirely?

2) There is a small knot in the wood on the back of the neck. It doesn't bother me at all and is sanded smooth as a baby's butt, however because of where it is located I am worried about the neck stability. Could this cause weakness or bowing in the neck as the bass ages? It's like a 5 piece neck, and the knot is only on one strip of wood. (obviously)

Thanks, and anyone looking for a 5 string at a great price should check this baby out!
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Finish wise, I'm not sure.. But as far as the neck goes, it'll be fine. It's a 5 peice, so the neck shouldn't become unstable or anything.
  3. The finish should be waxed just like a warwick as it is open grain and hence open to the element..unlike warwicks they do not need to be waxed very often do to the differerce in wood contruction and density...all ive been told is..if u think it needs a wax..then wax it....once coat on and off

but if i were you... :)

I would get some Lem-Oil used for fingerboards......that would work a treat...apply it ..let wot will soak in, soak in and then remove the excess..brings dirt to the top and is great for wood :)...its expensive but my bottle has lastest me years :)
  4. mikarre

mikarre Guest

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

Zen, I do have some lemon oil, so maybe I'll try that before the wax. Thanks!