1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 questions on speakers and watts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Monotheist, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Monotheist

Monotheist Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have searched the board and haven't found the answer that I'm looking for.

First part:

I'm buying a Ported Peavey 810tx for $100. The wattage is 400 watts continuous and 800 Program. 4ohm.

I have a Mesa M9 Carbine which is 900 watts @ 4ohms.

Is 900 watts at full volume? Maybe it's a silly question I don't know. lol

I don't want to blow the speakers out of the Peavey.

At what volume can I safely go on the M9 without blowing a speaker or it farting out? Basically, when do I reach 400 watts? Noobie question I know. lol

2nd part:
    Would it be worth it to swap out the speakers out of the cab and replace them with speakers with higher wattage?

If so, how complicated is it to do it?

Thanx for your highly valued help.

Cheers

2. There are a lot of threads on powering cabs with different wattages and such. The search tool is your friend.

That being said I do own a tx810, power it with a 400 watt tube head. I can tell you that I have never been able to push the cab in a band or live to the point of the speakers farting out on me before it gets so loud that it hurts. If you are playing loud enough to hurt this cab then you might need to re-evaluate who you play with.

Also dont swap out the speakers...

3. Monotheist

Monotheist Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanx for your reply!

I won't. :D

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I use an amp that has a peak/burst rating of 3000w. I use two cabs that together can handle roughly 1500w. Be careful and listen to your speakers. If you hear them distorting or sounding not right, back off on your volume, or your low end, or both.

5. JHAz

JHAz

Jun 29, 2011
    To the extent the op is asking if the Mesa is putting out full power when the volume control is all the way up, then answer is probably well before that, and nobody can tell you where. Depends on how your EQ is set, how hot your pickups are, how hard you play and various other factors. Burningskies' advice is right on IMO, listen and do not push your speakers into distorting, and you should be fine.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1

I'll add that one many amps, maybe including yours, the volume and gain knobs are anything but even throughout the range of the dial. Full power may be at 10 or it may be at 5 or 6. Half way up doesn't mean half power at all. Ignore the numbers, use your ears.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to that^. Ears are your friend.

8. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    It seems the amp and cab should work well together and you should have plenty of volume before you push the speakers or the amp to their limits. Congratulations! Now play that thing!!!

KO