2 Questions/options on defretting a bass (not by myself).

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by yoshi, Apr 1, 2003.

1. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi, I searched this forum and didnt find anyting that answered my questions as most threads/posts where about 'how can I do this' etc.

I have an old 4 string Bass Collection bass (rosewood fingerboard) that I was considering getting de-fretted and I was wondering which option would be better (sorry if thats too vague a word) and cheaper;

A) Get the frets removed and the neck filled in.
    B) Get the whole finger plate removed and a new one put on.Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong forum (Please move it if so).

Also, how much approximatly do you think each would be please? I’m in England if that helps to form any price range.

Sorry if those ideas seem stupid, but I'm clueless regarding the issue (hence me wanting to get it done professionally if the price wasnt too high).

Thanks for any comments and suggestions.
  2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I don't know pricing, but the fret removal is not a very difficult job and would be much cheaper. The only reasons you'd want to have the board replaced would be if you wanted a different wood like ebony or if you didn't want lines (you'll be able to see the fret lines).
  3. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

I actually went into a local city with freinds today and asked a luthier in a guitar shop. He said it'd cost about £80 (about $125) and would take about 2 weeks. He seemed very unwilling fairly hostile so I think I'll look elsewhere, unless his price quote is a cheap one.

So, is £80 reasonable, or is there just me who thinks it's a little steep?
    I did, in the same store, see a budget/beginner fretless for £150 ($200ish) that I may opt for instead as I'm not after anything killer as of yet.