1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pyropie, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Pyropie

Pyropie

Aug 4, 2007
    1.Im thinking about De-fretting my Dean Flying V. I hear its not hard and theres some good guides for it. But its my only electric bass (I have a standup too). Should I?

2. Im considering getting a Dean Edge 6 String Fretless bass. Its 599 and it'll come to about 600 after shiping and tax. Is this a Decent bass for the price?

Im pretty new to bass (I play guitar, for about a year, and picked up a bass 3 months ago. I can honsitly say I like bass better than guitar) and i need some good advice.

~Pyro

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    IMHO, keep the frets, and wait for the fretless. Sometimes, frets are what is needed for the sound they have. Keep working hard on the upright, it will do you right for when the fretless ship comes in.

Can't comment on the Dean, though others will...

BTW, defretting almost for certain will lower the value of your current instrument. Keeping it as is will help you fund other needs (pup and pre for the upright?), if you decide to sell it. Good luck!

3. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007
    I defretted an old piece-of-crap Les Paul copy just to see what it was like...the guitar was useless to begin with and I needed some of the parts for another project, so I tried it....what a freakin' mess. So, I don't think I'll bother ever doing that again. Why not try finding a fretless neck, and install it. Or keep it stock and get the Dean E6

I have an Edge 5 Fretless....plays/sounds awesome. I've never been a big fan of active (it's more of a style issue) so I ripped out the controls (x4) and preamp, and wired it passive like a Jazz (VVT). One of my knobs is a "dummy". As for the battery cavity, well.... "you put your weed in there" .... (just kidding):eyebrow:

If you're daring, go for the defret, others here can help you do it right (maybe I should have asked for help :meh:

Try the Dean E6, I'm sure you'll like it, and they look sweet too.