Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 Racks Better Than 1?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RunngDog, Aug 9, 2004.

1. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'm currently straining under the weight of my 6-space rack (Furman PL-Plus, Sabine 1600 tuner, Sennheiser wireless, BBE BMax, QSC PLX2402). Also, for smaller gigs, I'd like to be able to use the Furman, Sabine & Sennheiser units with a smaller amp -- but taking them out of the rack every time isn't very practical.

So now what I'm thinking about is getting a couple of separate 4-space rack units -- 1 for the BBE + QSC, the other for the accessory equipment. A few questions:

1. Is anybody else doing this? Are there pros / cons I should be aware of?

2. Are there any racks designed specifically with such stacking in mind?

3. Are there any racks with a "footprint" (i.e., at the bottom) less than 19" wide. I realize that the rack itself has to be 19" wide, but I'm hoping someone makes one with small feet or some such that are less than the full 19". My Schroeder cab has a space of about 18" between the edges of the plastic corner protectors -- narrow enough that a 19" rack won't fit between them, but wide enough that it can't rest comfortably on top of both of the either.

Any suggestions most welcome!

2. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I cant see how having 2 separate racks would hurt you.

I feel your pain. I have a 6U Road Ready... which is a heavy rack by itself. I had a B2R and Power conditioner for a while... and it wasnt so bad. Then I put an RMX1450 in there, and now I can barely move the friggon thing.

I have no experience with the situation, but I know I've seen a couple of rigs with 2 separate racks. I wouldnt be afraid to take that route, and reap the obvious benefits of having a lighter, more convenient setup. :cool:

3. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    You know, that's EXACTLY what I've been considering more and more. And I did try that for a short time! It was cool!

I had my Korg DTR-2 and my Furman PL-Plus in one 2 space SKB shallow X-Rack, and my SVT 4 in a Road Ready ATA 4 space case. Was cool! Much more portable and easy to handle than all of those things in one super heavy rack. And it looked cool too!

The only thing to watch out for is to make sure the cases are able to be put on top of each other solidly. I tried putting my CNB 4 space below the SKB X-rack and their bottoms and tops are NOT compatible. The SKB had to be put at an angle because of the top of the CNB had these 2 ridges that ended before the front of the case. This made the SKB point downward. Was kinda unsecure. I wanted to put 2 SKB shallow x-rack cases on top of one another for the ultimate portable rig! But my amp (and most amps) do not fit into the shallow case. DARN.

Good idea though! Hope you find an answer that works for you...

-T

4. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    And btw, how do you like your Schroeder?! Which one do you have? Just curious...sorry...

:bag:

-T

5. Currently I am using two racks. The only problem occurs when you have no time for a soundcheck and are rushing to wire the bits together while the drummer is also arranging his kit (and right in your way). There's something to be said for flipping to power switch and being ready to go.

As it is, I've found the Aguilar DB680 and DB728 in a 3/8" rack with both covers on to be a real bear.

6. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Very true.

I had mine set up so that the plugs were ready to go and arranged for maximum blind set up ease. But yeah, there is still the need to setup stuff. Not as "put on stage and flip on" as a one rack setup. Though you can cut it down to a minimum amount of time by planning ahead.

-T

7. Thats essentially the identical rack I plan to build but with a RMX 1450 instead. Just curious if you have any pics of the rack you could send me or let me know how you like all of that equipment together. thanks. and ya the two rack idea sounds like a good one.

8. I have a Road Ready 12U rack. I could already feel my back going. So what I did was went to home depot...4 locking casters baby. One piece of 18x21 3/4" plywood. Mount 4 casters to plywood. Plop rack on plywood. Don't have to carry it anymore, except when lifting it into my truck. Works wonders for under 20 dollars.

9. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I use two racks. One for my amp the other has my power conditioner, tuner and BBE MaxCom. It works out great. I can grab the "powerpack" and use it with my other amps, depending on my needs. I use a bungie cord to hold them together for additional security. Both SKB and Gator make short cases, which I use, and I would give the edge to Gator.

10. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    PS: Both SKB and Gator make rack cases with built in rollers and extendable handles.

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Are there any racks with a "footprint" (i.e., at the bottom) less than 19" wide. I realize that the rack itself has to be 19" wide, but I'm hoping someone makes one with small feet or some such that are less than the full 19". My Schroeder cab has a space of about 18" between the edges of the plastic corner protectors -- narrow enough that a 19" rack won't fit between them, but wide enough that it can't rest comfortably on top of both of the either.

SKB ATA racks have the feet spaced at 12 1/2" by 11". The feet don't stick out far enough to clear most corner protectors though, which has always bugged me. They also could do with a grippier formulation. You could certainly replace the feet with something that would work better though. I use a little piece of plywood that sits inside the corner protectors, and the feet rest on that. Works fine for my smaller cabs. I have 5 SBK ATA cases, and they've held up OK for a number of years. They feel really flimsy though, and if I had to truck-pack gear very often, I'd go with something heavier duty. The newer SKB USA Series ones look a lot more real, dunno if they actually are though.

luck,

12. My home made rack is 79 pounds.

SWR IOD
    MX22 crossover
    DBX122 synth
    GE30 graphic eq
    PLX3002

I'm building a pair of 4RU racks to each hold a pair of PLX amps. My rig gets mixed and matched between PA and bass use, so this will put the power amps into their own racks. More racks are a pain to manage, but easier to lug around.

If one uses standard connectors and cables, they are easy to wire up.

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I solved this by pop-riveting longer, larger rubber feet to the bottom of my SKB 6 space rack, parts were only about $5 at PartsExpress.com, and took me about 5 minutes. Works like a charm, and looks all-original.

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i just started using 2 racks and love it
    but for me the deal was being able to use my stewart 2.1 with more than one preamp without having to switch them out in the rack
    i can also use the stewart with my swr electric blue head or eden wt-400 for more power than they can dish out alone, or just use my sans amp di as a preamp
    i've even just plugged my active '86 tobias right into the stewart with good results

15. jackall237

jackall237

Aug 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    Dude I'd just get a 10 space on casters, get a 2 space drawer to put all your extra crap in, and call it done.. I just got mine today and it's glorious!

16. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Here's what I did when I had a rack rig.

I had one rack for the signal - preamp, compressor, bbe, etc - and one rack for the power amp. This way, if I did a well-supported gig, all I brought was my signal rack. If I needed a stage rig, I brought the amp rack and cab(s) as needed.

I use my Neo 3.5 and Neo 212 fo rall my gigs from small restaurants to bigger bars to outdoor. It's overkill for a couple places, but mostly it's just right. I kicked around getting a smaller cab to use with the head for smaller gigs, but I don't think it's worth it. I can just trun this one down. Plus it gives me a little more bottom for those little non-PA gigs.

If you are always going to use your entire rig - pre/power/cab - than I think I agree with the get one nice rack on wheels idea. A rolling 10 or 12 space gives you plenty of room and it's easier then trying to carry or roll a 6 or 8 space. It's heavy, but only for the lift in and out of the vehicle. Yes, it's overkill for some gigs, but you can always turn down - and the extra headroom will sound great at small gigs.

17. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I too was using 6U SKB cases for my rigs and like you found them heavy and clumsy to manage. I went to 4U cases, one for pre-amp and the other for the power amp. You can carry them both one in each hand and they tend to balance each other out. Once I did the same to all my rigs I could mix and max pres and power amps.

Pre 1 has a Korg DTR1000 tuner, BBE B-Max-T pre-amp and a Carvin AC120 power conditioner. Pre 2 is the same except the pre-amp is a ART tube channel mic pre-amp (great for bass). All I have to do at the gig is plug in the power amp power and signal cables and I'm ready to go. I have labeled each case clearly with what is in it. Don't want to roll up at the gig with two power amps!

I'm glad that I am not the only one who finds that the drummer is ALWAYS in the way when I try to set up or tear down for that matter! I think it's part of the drummer credo! You gotta love them though otherwise you'd just have to shoot 'em!

Paul

PS anyone want some 6U cases? :)

18. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    PPS

I bought a roll of no slip webbing at a local dollar store and keep a couple of foot length in each rack case. Putting a length between each case stops all the slip sliding away!

Paul