2 Rickenbacker (4003) questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by callmebono, Aug 3, 2004.

1. 1) Are there any (online?) guidelines on how to properly set up this bass? I can do an acceptable setup on Fenders, but I dont know what to do with 2 truss rods, recommended string height, relief suggestions, etc?

2) Any flatwound string recommendations? I just slapped on some Rotosound flat 77s and I'm not sure what I think. I have a pack of TI flats and Labella Deep Talkin' strings I can try out. Anyone have a favorite?

In the meantime, its all trial and error!
  2. elgranluis

elgranluis Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    the site pretty much has an online version of the instruction manual you recieved with your bass.

About the twin rods, just treat them like one: 2 turns on the left = 2 on the right.

Of course, i havent been able to setup my ric as low as my fenders.... but since the ric is mainly a pick bass, it doeesnt really matter.'

About the sound... i guess you'll just have to experiment till you get it right. I use dimarzio stainless rounds.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I love the TI flats. They're very low-tension compared to the Deep Talkin's, I've never used the Rotos though. I much prefer the feel and sound of the TIs to any flat I've ever used. Never owned a rick, unfortunately. They're pretty swanky instruments though, I'd love to pick one up.
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I've set up my Ric no problem. You're philosophy isn't that accurate. You're assuming that both sides are equal in tension/relief. You just have to measure the relief on each side and compensate. Also, with your philosophy accuracy is a problem. You could actually cause the neck to twist if you think you're doing it the same on each side, and in actuality twist them differently.