2 separate amp/cabs together?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mattsk42, Sep 9, 2005.

1. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

I have an old Kustom II Bass combo that is 1x15 for the cab. The amp in it broke. I also have an Ampeg BA112 that works fine. If I get a head for the Kustom combo and power both it and the Ampeg up, would it sound bad?

I know in car audio you get 2 different sized speakers going and they cancel each other out and it's bad. Also, the Kustom takes about 150-200w, I don't remember which. Would it be worth it to get an amp for it if the combo of combos mentioned above does NOT work? Or should I just look for a new cab as well?

I don't need very much volume/power, just more than the Ampeg has now and enough to fill a small venue.
  2. Holy misinformation, Batman!

Your post makes my head hurt! No offence, I can tell you're fretting about it a bit and the ideas just come flowing out ya' head - we all do it.

Why not just get the Kustom fixed?

Otherwise, you should have no major problems running two separate amp/cabinet rigs. You may even find with a bit of research that one amp will drive both cabinets, but don't try this until you are sure the amp will handle it!
  3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That's not quite right but not without foundation in fact. Depending on placement, wiring and other factors two speakers can cancel each other's output. Two drivers within the same cabinet can cancel each other's output as well if you don't wire them correctly. In your case I'd try using the speaker from the dead amp as an extension, the increased volume might be enough without using another amp. Just be sure you have the two cabs vertically aligned and wired in-phase, out-of-phase wiring will lead to cancellation effects.
  4. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Well I got the idea of it being bad from this and numerous other posts on ECA. http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=105164

It never really is resolved whether or not it's truly bad, but if you read through most of that, you'll find some evidence on why it COULD be bad. So I was just asking if it was an issue at all or not, but apparently not. Thanks for the replies!

What would be the best idea for the Kustom? I don't want to spend much, so what would be the cheapest decent head for it?
  5. well, I know what they're saying on that thread, but really it's got nothing to do with speaker cone sizes.

Two different brand 15" subs will have different frequency responses and could potentially sound just as bad as one 12" and one 15". Still, none of this is a gauranteed to result in poor sound quality, it may (perhaps by happy coincidence) make things sound better!

What that thread does prove is that most of these guys have no idea what they're talking about. The fact that they're all striving for "flat frequency response" thinking that is what makes the best sound is simply laughable. They are just regurgitating the sales blurb - showing that they are completely ignorant of the facts about their sound systems.

No car stereo system in the world has anything like a flat frequency response, and if it does, it almost certainly sounds like a T-rex with a tummy bug... and that's something I don't ever want to hear for myself!