1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2 Shows in 1 Day

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by fastplant, Sep 7, 2004.

  1. fastplant


    Sep 26, 2002
    Ugh. This last Saturday we played a wedding at 2:30 to 6 then went immediately to a club gig at night. Man, I had no idea how tiring that would be. I had to get up at 7 to get dressed, shower and get the gear and drive it to the wedding by 10, before the cermony started. We set up as quietly as possible because the wedding was right outside the reception hall. Ended up getting pretty drunk (unintentionally) and playing a decent couple sets. We had a fill-in keyboardist so it was a little rough. Then we packed up in insanely hot and humid weather, and drove right to the next show. I was so beat I wasn't even into it. And to top it all the owner stiffed us on our pay, he said we only had 106 people there, but we did a raffle and handed a ticket out to each person and had way more than that. Bad idea agreeing to take the door as part of the payment. Anyway, I ended up not getting home till 4 am, long day.

    Sorry, but I had to vent.
  2. Dan


    Jul 26, 2004
    Newcastle, UK
    Its all good. After all...it's what we practice for*

    *Not the pay stiffing bit :ninja:
  3. mr e

    mr e

    Nov 17, 2003
    two show is just enough to get to that 'okay, now i'm warmed up' feelin'
  4. Ifrit84

    Ifrit84 Banned

    Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    You are so awesome.

    No, really.
  5. LiquidMidnight


    Dec 25, 2000
    Wow, I didn't realize that bands still got hired to do weddings. I thought that market had been monopolized by all of the idiots with PAs and large Cd collections.

    :ninja: (Wow, that's the first time I've used the ninja smilie)
  6. owned!

    hrm...2 gigs in one day,I'd be spent also.
  7. I played two gigs in one night at SXSW last year. We played a set at one club, then hauled our gear three blocks down the street and played another set. Naturally, it started raining on us about halfway there, and the band that was on before us ran late - leaving us and our pile of gear on the sidewalk in the rain. Yet another occasion when I was glad I had road cases.

    -- busmandan --
  8. rickbass

    rickbass Supporting Member

    HAH, HAH!!!! ...Welcome to the "bigtime."

    I am reluctant to tell war stories but here goes - my punk band in the 70's was signed to Zipper Records and had to ride on a bus while the headliners we supported were often transported on small, contract, jets.

    Getting sleep was an option. I often didn't know which city we were playing in....and it wasn't the booze or drugs.

    Ask TB'er Jeff Rader about when I used to email him - most often, those old emails hit his inbox after gigs --- about 5am.

    The upside is, IMO, that you will dump these wedding gigs eventually and play gigs with bands that allow you to play music that doesn't sound like Lawrence Welk.
  9. dukeplaysbass

    dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

    I had a 24 hour span with my old blues band where we did three shows! The first was a 9pm to 1 am gig on Friday night (three 60 min sets) then went home and slept. On Saturday, the first gig was 12 noon - 3:30pm gig (two 90 min sets), followed by a dash to the third gig from 6pm-9:30pm (again, two 90 min sets).

    The first and last were paid (and pretty good $ as I recall) the middle was for Paul Newman's charity for kids with terminal illness and we did that one for the beer and killer food and the good kharma.....

    After the last show, I was riding home with the guitar player and we stopped at a gas station and both of us just ended up laughing hysterically for about 10 minutes becasue we were so punchy. My hands were hamburger.

    I've also done two 60-min sets on URB for a "happy hour" duo gig follwed by three 60 min sets on electric. The $ is good, but the hands hurt....
  10. Steve


    Aug 10, 2001
    My schedule for Daytona Biketoberfest:
    Noon till 4 at the White Eagle
    5 till eight at some campground about 3 miles up the road
    9 till 12:30 at my house gig

    That goes on monday through thursday

    Friday and Saturday is a light schedule. All we play is the noon till 4 followed by opening and closing set's for the headliners which typically will be Molly Hatchett and Dr. Hook. If not the Dr. then a pretty good CCR tribute act.

    If that White Eagle gig didn't have a festival PA with provided back line it would kill me. I just park a bass rig at the other two clubs and carry a bass back and forth.

    I've been doing that twice a year for...7 or 8 years.

    You just gotta close your eyes and think about the deposit slip.
  11. Fuzzbass

    Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

    Yeah, doubles can be rough. I've had to do a bunch of doubles this year: my country/blues band has a regular Saturday afternoon dock bar gig, and I often have to run from that to an evening gig with one of my other bands.

    The key is to pace yourself. First, I never drink in the afternoon... that's the quick way to get fatigued. Second: I sometimes use my RB5 with TI flats for the afternoon gig. TI flats have low tension, so I can play with a very light touch. I always do that if I have a gig the previous night.
  12. Bigwig


    Dec 27, 2003
    i cant wait till i can play multiple shows..
    ive only played a few..filling in for another band..
    but my bands finally got its **** together..found a new screamer *he actually has a distortion pedal hooked up to his mic...so when really hardcore parts come up..he clicks it one and **** its intense...real original too!*
    and our first show is scheduled for halloween at this huge party where a couple other bands are playing..
    untill then we just practise our ass off.
  13. AngelCrusher

    AngelCrusher Supporting Member

    Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I had 3 gigs in a day once..the first started at 4 am for a tv morning show on WGN..the next was at 9 am on a radio show in the city...then finally the last one was at 11pm in wrigleyville....
    after a while you aren't even tired anymore, and you just get silly.