1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 SOB's " son of bertha "

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yobtaf, Dec 3, 2018.

1. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    apple valley
    So I got the one sob and really Im pretty darn impressed. To the point I would probably ditch my SVT 215 if I can find another SOB to put on top.
    Good idea to run 2 SOB's?

TIA

wave rider likes this.
  2. bassfootballguy

bassfootballguy Spectacularly Average Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    A small, small town
    If you like 15 inch cabs this is a good way to go. SWRs Son of Bertha is one of the best 15 inch cabinets I ever used.

wave rider, dBChad and yobtaf like this.
  3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    That’s what I do.

yobtaf likes this.
  4. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    apple valley
    what amp do you run? get good volume with no farting out? I would run my set up with a gk700rb
    PIc?

5. ihixulu

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    I use a SWR Grand Prix into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp, usually bridged. It's definitely loud enough for me. IMG_0121. IMG_0121.

dBChad, RobertUI, jmlee and 3 others like this.
  6. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    apple valley
    yeah I think im sold. now to find a smoking deal on a second one like I got on the first. Probably wont be as cheap!

7. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    You can't show me a corner of a teal-green SWR cabinet without explaining, man ! :D What is that ?

8. ihixulu

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    Look on Guitar Center's used listings. They pop up on there at reasonable prices once in a while.

yobtaf likes this.
  9. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    apple valley
    i got this one off some older guy, still had price tag hanging on it and plastic over son of bertha and swr badge for $130

View attachment 3236273 View attachment 3236274

Jason Hollar and pappabass like this.
  10. ihixulu

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    That is Greenie - It's a Goliath Sr. that I bought years ago (~$300 IIRC) and beat up on pretty good since. The rat fur got nasty and started spouting some mold due to exposure to rank fluids. I stripped it and applied green Duratex because it matches my hair and why not. :bassist:
    IMG_0122.

11. ihixulu

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    That's a tough price to beat!! Sweet score

12. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Loved and miss my SOB. I was pairing it with my GK NEO115iii for a short time before I sold it to good effect. You should be able to find a used one fairly cheap.

13. I have the SWR WM 15 cabinet, its the same setup as the SOB but with different speakers, does not have the level control or speak-on's. Sounds good in a low/mid volume places. The SOB does sound better though!

14. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I owned an SOB and wasnt too impressed by it. May have just been overly used. I felt like it didnt deliver below E very well. Sold it before long, although the silver grille looked fresh. On the other hand I loved my SWR Workingman 1x15. For whatever they were going for back in the day used (probably got it for $150) I thought it was a nice slightly dark sounding cab and it handled my 5 string.

Back in the day I showed up to an audition with that cab- Mesa Bass 400 / SWR WM 1x15. They loved my sound, it filled the room. I got the gig (which became my band for next 5 years).

15. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    I used a single SOB with a Music Man HD150 for a while. It kept up with two guitars.

16. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    One of my rigs consists of two single 15 Golights, which are basically the Neo version of the SOB.

It's a very, very good idea.

ihixulu and yobtaf like this.
  17. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    The SOB is a fantastic 15". I love the sound. I used to run a SOB and Goliath JR III on top and preferred that combo over two 15's. More articulation and mids.

yobtaf likes this.
  18. flyingfinbar

flyingfinbar Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Long Island, New York
    Dizz-ope.

I love my Goliath Sr., but despise the rat fur.

19. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    apple valley
    just wondering why do some say SWR on speaker and some dont? same chrome grille and such