Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 space rack fans?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basss, Jan 20, 2002.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Is there any such thing? Ive been looking around and cant find any. It seems like they should exist. There is plenty of 3 space fans. Are there any 2 space fans and if so where can I get one? Thanks

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm not really a big fan of 2-space racks. They'll hold a head, but nothing else. I use a four-space rack, so I've got room for my tuner and an extra space for a power conditioner or something else, if I choose. Most folks will tell you to get two more spaces than you think you need.

3. There is a seller on eBay that puts together racks of any size, and reasonable. He is in Mississippi if I remember right.

I'd like to find a 2-space rack just to hold my QSC MX-3000a amp. The damn thing is so heavy, it needs to be in its own rack so I can move it around unassisted.

4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    (psssst! bgavin ~ I think he's talking about cooling fans. I was being obtuse. Sorry.)

Anyway, I know what you're saying about that QSC MX-3000a amp. I have an MX-1500a in a Genz-Benz plywood box, along with a crossover, and I can barely lift the danged thing. And it's about 20 pounds lighter than yours, as I recall. I use mine in the PA, but one of these days I'm gonna run my WT-300's line out to it and run it into the JBL subs just to see what it sounds like. Do you use yours for your power amp?

5. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I'm a rack fan too but I need at least 42HU:eek:
    Sorry:rolleyes: :D

6. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    There are Two Space Racks. Got mine at GC
    Its a SKB, cost about $120

:cool:

7. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Sorry, I meant fan as in the kind that blows air. I like two space racks too but I need something to cool down my gear.

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    ROFL! Man, I guess we really screwed up this thread, eh? LOL.

9. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    And now without kidding: Maybe you get more answers if you use the word 'ventilator' instead of fan...
    Matthias

10. Have you considered making one? I am sure it would not be that hard.

11. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i've never seen them used in a bass context but if you look around at computer companies that make rack systems for computers, you'll find something. I can't imagine what application you'd need a fan for. If you have 2 extra spaces, just leave an empty space, one above and one below your amp.

What do you have in your rack that you need a fan to cool it?

12. idealtracks

idealtracks Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    Birmingham, AL