1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 space rack for Crest CA9

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

When I got my CA9 I put it into a 4 space SKB ATA case. The rear rack rails stuck out the back a little but I thought it was cool that the back end of this heavy amp was supported by the rack itself. The rear cover fit.

So, last week I ordered a 2 space SKB ATA case from MF. Same style and logo as the 4 space. However the 2 spacer doesn't work. It's a couple inches shorter than the 4 space, so the rear cover will not fit when the CA9 is installed. :(

Doesn't look to me that MF carries the case I need. What happened, did SKB shorten their racks within the past few years? Actually, what I really need to know is, what 2 space rack cases will work with a CA9? Thanks...

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I think the Gator standard 2 space rack has the proper internal dimensions for the CA-9.

3. Fuzzbass

Thanks! You haven't ordered one yet for your CA9?

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I forget the dimensions, but some are too, short, which I guess is obvious...:p

I got the dimensions for my amp from Crest (a CA-6, the same size as a CA-9). Then, when I sought the rack on evil-bay, the first thing I checked for was the right dimensions...ok I guess that's obvious now, too. :D

I use a full length 4-space, and put the (2-space) CA-6 in the bottom. It actually sits on the bottom of the case, so rear rack rails are not needed for support. The other spaces are each holding a pre-amp. Fun, flexible, neat and tidy, but DANG heavy! Lead sled, indeed. :D

What are you doing for a pre-amp? :bassist:

5. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Gator is what I use for my ca9, works well.

6. Fuzzbass

Here's the MF ad. I can't find dimensions anywhere!
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/SKB-2Space-Rack-Case?sku=544602

What I DID find, however, was a group shot of SKB cases stacked on top of each other:
    [​IMG]

As you can see, all cases appear to be the same depth. So I figured it was logical to assume that the 2 space rack I was ordering was the same depth as the four space rack I owned that was perfect for my CA9. Silly me! :(

To answer your question, I own a variety of preamps: SansAmp RBI, SWR IOD, Ampeg SVP-Pro, Read Purity. The latter three use tubes and transformers and are rather heavy for 1U gear. For the past year or so I've used two four space racks (only one per gig!), each containing a Stewart World 2.1 and two of the preamps. Each gig I decide which preamp I feel like using, and then bring whichever rack contains that preamp. The CA9 is heavy enough that I'd prefer to carry it by itself, and carry the preamps in a separate rack.

I suppose my options are (1) go with a Gator 2U, or (2) put the CA9 by itself in the 4U SKB and use the 2U SKB for preamps. I'm less impressed with Gator than I am with SKB, so I'm inclined to do the latter, even though it'll put a 2U hole in the middle of my amp rig.

7. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir... Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I have Gator 4 and Gator 6 Rolling. I don't use either. They remain empty. I don't know if the 2 will help you, but my Crest CA9 is in my SKB 4. The handles of the Gators are for small hands, and the latches are on the case, not the covers. If you record using a mic at all, tape them up so they don't buzz/rattle.
    Good luck.

8. Fuzzbass

That sucks. I had an Anvil where the same was true... I rarely noticed the rattle at gig volume, but it could be annoying as hell at rehearsals. I tried taping the latches... that pretty much solved the rattle problem, but then the latches got gooey and discolored.

I'm now leaning towards putting the CA9 by itself in the 4U SKB. I'll have to look into getting a rack tray or something to cover the 2U hole.

9. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I agree about the handles, I have big hands and the small handles are kinda bogus. Ive never heard the latches rattle though, and I have a few gator cases with my amps.
    Over all, I like the gator cases better.

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Here is the basic thing I've got:

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-SPACE-ATA-AMP...4QQihZ012QQcategoryZ23789QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It has held up pretty well, and I imagine a 2-space version would actually be stronger. The thing to watch is that if you get a 16" deep shell, be sure your covers are 3" deep, especially the rear one, as a CA-6 or 9 (3.5 x 19 x 18) will stick out the back of a 16" deep rack about 2". Hope this helps! :hyper:

11. Fuzzbass

That's cool to know.

12. Fuzzbass

Good info! I will look into something like that, and keep the dimensions in mind.

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It would still be a good idea to secure the back of the amp to the rear rails. It'll add a lot of strength to the case and reduce the risk of damage to amp or case should something happen, like the rack case gets dropped onto the ground.

14. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    How would you recommend attaching them? The rear rack ears on the CA-9 sit perpendicular to the rack rails.

15. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    You can use L-brackets. The picture is of some 3-inch universal-type ones that QSC sells.

[​IMG]

You can also find simliar things from Penn Fabrication, Middle Atlantic Products, and other sources.

16. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Cool, thanks Bob!

17. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Carvin's web site says their rack cases are 21" deep.

ETA - but they don't seem to have a 2 space...........

18. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    There are different depths of racks and not many companys are exact with there dimentions.Some call the Effect racks which are the shallow ones and the standards are about 16 inches.I had to have a gig bag rack made for a Aguilar DB 359 amp I had and had it made to a 19 inch depth.So unless you have the rack and a tape measure with you to measure it you are gambling your amp will fit it perfect!I am not very fond of the side mounted handle on racks with heavy amps unless amps are mounted at front and rear.Most bent ears are from all the weight on just the ears and amp get dropped!

19. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    By the way GC carries Roady Ready Racks and they have a 2 space and it looked pretty deep to me .You may want to check one out?they are about 139

20. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    I had the same problem, until I got the gator 2 space.

Its not bad, a bit bulkier than a 2 space SKB (not just in depth, but all around.)

Also I found that the CA9 is so heavy that the 2 space gator flexes quite a bit in the center (like if its sitting on a cab and resting on the corner brackets, the middle flexes downward instead of staying flat), seems it wasn't designed for something quite so heavy. But it works fine.... Man I hate those tabs you have to line up to put the cover on. First thing I did was hacksaw those things off!! having to lift the rack with one hand and slide the tab in from below sucks with a CA9!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021