Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by padresfan311, Nov 15, 2004.

1. padresfan311

padresfan311

Oct 8, 2004
    Mobile, AL
    i wonder if anyone has made or even thought about making a 3 string or even 2 string bass for fun? that would be cool :cool:

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    There have been some threads on this, I recall a guy from maybe Sweden who played a 2 string bass regularly, can't recall his name. Do a search man, should turn up plenty of this. And the bassist from Morphine played a 3 string bass too.

3. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    there have been several 3 string basses in the bast, bee made one and some one else i belive

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The dude from Morphine played a 2 string bass, not a three.

Tony Levin played a 3 string MusicMan for a while, but IIRC, it was in a fire at some point and was burned beyond repair.

5. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I saw this behemoth on ebay a few months ago. He was askin like $2000 for it...don't know what happened to it. i know he was having troublt selling it though http://www.pouringrain.co.nz/bass_1.jpg

6. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I though I recalled seeing the Morphine guy playing a 3 string in one of their videos from the early 90's... who knows, my memory is hazy since I didn't play bass then and didn't care. Either way it's interesting.

7. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
  8. Agrikk

Agrikk

Nov 11, 2004
    Trouble selling it? I wonder why... Heh. I suspect he was laughed off the stage, so now he's getting rid of it. :rolleyes:

9. The dude from the Presidents of the United States of America played a 2 string that was basically a Flying V Guitar strung with a couple of fat bass strings. They were unique, and so was the axe.

Oh nooo...that song just popped into my brain..."Lump sat alone in a boggy marsh..." PLEASE! PLEASE! MAKE IT STOP!
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

10. CJK84

CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    I'm nearly certain that I once read that the original bass violas were 3-string instruments (no E).

The gut used for strings was not suitable for a low E string so there was apparently only A, D and G.

btw, I like the tune Lump from the Presidents of ... !

11. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I played a 3 string p-bass back in the day... All I did was chord so I took the e string off, along with the tuner and sadel... Ohh the memmories.... back in the daaaaaay!..

Alex

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  13. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I'm considering making my first from-scratch bass a three-string, because I have these three relatively nice Fender Deluxe tuners (well, four, but one's broken) that I'll never be able to sell. It'll be more for bass-making practice than because I want a three-string bass, but oh well. I imagine I'll tune it BEA, just for kicks.

14. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska

As frickin cool as that looks I dont think that i will ever want to play something like that. Although it would be neet to wake up and see that on the far side of my bedroom.

15. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    The bassist from Ash plays a 3 string (well he doesnt put a G string on his Gibson Thunderbirds)

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Atlansia makes two string basses, as well as one string, three string, etc.

Here is a photo of the one string model, the Solitaire.

[​IMG]

17. i remember that in totally wierd basses in BP years ago. they are expesive but would love to have one. japan only?

18. I remember the ebay auction for that "alien" bass. A luthier made it to resemble the bass an alien was playing in some weird poster. It's almost an exact replica. A little too pricey for my tatses, however.

19. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada