1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2 sv210av's with gkmb500 or pf500 or

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by poomwah, Jan 5, 2012.

1. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    pf350? I love the tone out of my current micro rig (gk 200mb, single ampeg 210av) but the power is just not there. I'm going to add another cabinet, and a bigger head,
    would you guys recommend a pf series head or an mb series head?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I use my 210av's a lot with the PF350 and love it. Will it be enough for you? Don't know, but between the wattage bump and the second cab, you'd likely double your current available volume or get close to it. The PF500 could possibly be too much if you're not careful with the volume knob, but you would get more clean headroom with it. But honestly, a PF350 would be operating at right around the total power handling ability of two of those cabs anyway.

3. DerTeufel

DerTeufel Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    I was just at GC and I demo'd a 210av with a PF350..veeeeeeeerry nice. With the gain at noon, everything flat, and the volume at 10, it was quite loud and had nice tone. Will it be enough for you? Perhaps. I know my Kustom KB200 head with a single JBL 15" cab is more than enough for my band.

4. I'm a big fan of the PF series heads and wouldn't hesitate to tell you that either the PF350/500 would work great! I'd take the 500 if you like the selectable mids and its other features, but like Jimmy said you may have to make sure you aren't pushing the cabs too hard.

That being said, if you really like the pairing of the MB200 and the 210AV, you'll probably like the MB500 + 210AVx2 rig just as much!

The best way for you to find out what you'd rather is to try both the PF (either head) and the MB heads and see which one you'll like best.

5. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I use a Mesa Walkabout head with a pair of those 210s and it sounds great and gets pretty loud. I haven't tried the PF heads yet, but they're well-regarded here. Depends on your tonal preferences and budget.

6. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    my budget isn't all that great, LOL.
    Preference, like I said, I like the tone I have, I just need more power.
    I had a hartke 3500 that I played into an old carvin 210. Practice, rehearsal, gigs, I could get away with that amp and cabinet with the volume at 8 to 9 oclock. I want to be able to do that with a lighter rig. Mine obviously wont do that, LOL. I can't even get that with mine cranked.
    A pf 350 should match the output of hartke at 4 ohms. So I'm imagining that I SHOULD be able to get the same volume out of the PF or the MB500 with a pair of 210avs.
    Does that sound like a reasonable assumption? or will the small, sealed cabinets rob that much volume ?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Small sealed cabinets that don't go especially low don't rob volume. Cabs that go really low rob volume. 210av cabs are pretty loud, actually. They just can't take a buttload of wattage.

8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    They'll let you know when they've had enough... the little GK 200mb sounded a bit sterile through my av210. I replaced it with a PF350 and it came to life... A pair of AV210's with that would be great with that head. They do get pretty damn loud. Not a ton a of bottom but more than enough with the right head. I love the ore traditional GK's through it too. Very cool little cabs.

9. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    The GK MB's have a lot of natural bottom end that is lost on the AV210 for better or for worse.

10. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I will obviously have to find a place that has both of them so I can A/B them. Closest place that might is about an hour (guitar center), but a little over an hour in the other direction is a guitar center and Sweetwater :]
    I'm leaning toward the PF500, I like the mute switch, the adjustable compression, the sweepable mid and the effects mix. Those features are well worth the extra 100 dollars to me and the extra self control and attention needed to keep from over powering the speakers. The extra weight is my concern though.
    I love the dimensions of the MB500, super small and ridiculously light. I'm just really unsure if its worth the extra hundred bones over the PF

11. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Definitely make the trip to GC to A/B both heads with the cabs you like. I like those cabs ALOT and know they sound good with the Ampeg head but didn't try it with the GK head.

What's unique about the cabs is they really cut through with tone without being harsh, which compliments the "bassy" nature of Ampeg heads, which is somewhat scooped compared to GK heads.

I also like the options on the PF-500 (when it comes to quick changes) but sound is a personal thing and the GK might float your boat. I can pretty much guarantee that both heads will sound good with two of those cabs, and you should get plenty of volume before they start squealing.

:bassist:

12. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    should I bring my gt6b and my vt bass deluxe into the store too? just to make sure of how its going to work with my set up?
    I wish my back wasn't shot, if it weren't for the attempt to keep the weight and size( I drive a bug) down as low as possible, I'd have a lot more options

13. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    carvin bx500 is actually looking good except for the lack of effects blend

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I wouldn't bring effects. I think you'd rather try them out so you can hear the actual sound of the amps and not the sound of your effects. But if you're a VTD fan (I am too), I can pretty much guarantee you'll love the PF350 and PF500. They won't get the really hard distortion that you can get with the VTD, but they do a great mild-to-medium overdrive with the gain knob cranked and they're a lot easier to get a sound. But try them all and make up your own mind. As for the extra weight of the PF500, it's what? 10 lbs? That's still about 20 lbs. less than 500w amps used to be ;)

15. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    I have played the PF heads through a SVT210AV and I currently own an SVT210AV which I'm pairing with a GK MB500. All of these combinations are awesome. The MB500 can get pretty darn loud (and sounds fantastic) through the 210AV. I can't say if it's worth more than the PF's. It's not hard to find the MB500 used for $350 or so...and it's lighter and smaller, but as Jimmy said, it's not like the PF500 is big or heavy...

I'd say if you love the tone of the MB200, then pick up a used MB500 and try it through your single 210AV. You may find that it gives you enough volume and authority like that. If not, grab another 210AV.

-JV

16. YuppyPunk

YuppyPunk

Oct 21, 2011
    If your budget isn't good have you concidered just adding a second 210AV? You might be surprised how much more you get out of it. 200 watts into 2x210 is going to be a big difference over 140 watts into a single 10.

17. True that, the doubling in speaker area will count for a lot more volume. I think he's looking for more headroom in general, though.

Definitely A/B both heads and see which you prefer. As to the pedals, you'll probably want to hear the pure tone of either without effects. If effects are a big part of your tone I might bring one or two of your most used effects, the type of thing that you might be leaving on most of the time while you're playing.

18. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I hooked up my old carvin 210 in addition to the svt210av, and there was a noticable difference in tone, but not a noticable difference in volume

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Could have been other reasons for that, though. When you hook up matching cabs, you should be able to get a 6db volume bump, which isn't twice as loud but it should be very noticeable. And with the wattage boost from running at 4 ohms, you should get pretty close to twice as loud.

20. +1

Mismatching cabs can be hit and miss and adding the matched cab would probably yield better results!