1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2" tape = phat bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Marc Piane, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
  2. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Marc,

That is totally f-ing AMAZING!!! :hyper: Thanks for sharing!

Respectfully though, I think the 2" tape has less to do with it than the snazzy engineer and his badass mics...
    mho, ymmv.

What kind of machine was used? I've participated in projects recorded on 1" Otari and 2" Studer and various digital setups with the same engineer and he was able to get great sound on all of them! He had a Neve too...:)

Gotta give credit to the crazy kids and their musicianship too...just sayin'! ;)

Joe

3. Tasty!

4. Very cool. Love the vocals!

5. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Awesome stuff, you guys would sound good on a cassette boombox recording though, 2" tape doesn't have much to do with it. Love the ambient room drum recording and the bass is indeed pure fatty fat goodness. Singer needs a good producer to bring out the magic though, she's definitely got talent.

6. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note.

Aug 8, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    Very fun! I thought "Benny and the Jets … and accordion????" at first.

7. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Thanks cats. No question the ears of the engineer are #1.

Funny story. At the session we tracked the bass and drums together. It took him about 2 hours to set up mics and get sounds. The drummer and I nailed both tracks on the first take. So basically 2 hours of setup for me to play for 7 minutes and go home.