2-Tek's are back!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Dec 16, 2004.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just read in the new Bass Player Mag, 2-Tek bridges are coming back. www.2-tek.com is coming soon, and I just thought I'd share. I played a 2-Tek loaded Hamer Cruise which I loved, dunno if it was the bridge or what!
  2. What's a 2-tek? Obviously it's a bridge, but whats special about it?
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very high mass bridge for tons of sustain supposedly.
  4. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    didn't carvin used to have a lot of basses made with the 2-tek as an option? I remember seeing quite often as a feature some 5 - 7 years ago...
  5. Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    I have a small fleet of Hamer's with the 2-tek bridge and absolutely love them. I'm excited to hear the news. I look forward to seeing more basses on the market with 2-teks.
  6. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    although... the site you posted a link for is a - space available site....
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Actually, it's a placeholder page. 2-Tek company bought the web address since they first vanished before the internet was big. This is their first time with the internet being around, so they gotta build a site.
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've played a few Hamer Cruise basses, both with and without 2-tek, and I've loved every one of 'em. :) Cruises are one of the best J basses you can buy at any price IMO.

Anyway back to the story........ 2Tek is a ultra high mass bridge with a big brick of metal in the bass. You need a hellova strap. Apparently they help with something. IN addition to Hamer, Peavey and Carvin both offered 2-Tek options on some of their basses. It's an expensive aftermarket product because you need to rout out a huge space in the back of the bass, think the back of a strat with a tremolo. And once you've put in a 2-Tek there's no going back.
  9. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
  10. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    They're not exactly cheap. Are they that good?
    Anyone modded a bass to fit one in, player or luthier? If so, I'd like to hear your comments.
  11. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    no that I think about it.... i played a hammer with one on it..... tis true about the sustain... at least with that bass. That's one BIG bridge though :cool:
  12. I prefer the 2-TEK CruiseBasses. Mine, by the way, weighs less than 10 pounds (9.8). Jol says there are still a couple of boxes full of 2-TEK bridges in the Hamer factory!

It is great to see the 2-TEK is back. Perhaps it will be more widely accepted this time around.
  13. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Excuse my ignorance, but it looks awfully tall... does it have to be recessed into the body?
  14. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

Yep, it does. It adds a pretty hefty metal brick to your bass.
    Probably good in thunderbirds to combat neck dive.
  15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Cool, I love and miss the 2Tek!!! Sustain for days!

Let me bust out my router...
  16. Don't those Traben basses operate on the same principle? I know they have these gigantic bridges that go all over the bass...But how does adding more mass increase sustain?
  17. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Wow. Nice. One of those could just about make a T-bird playable, great idea tekhna. That would look so cool aswell.
  18. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I had one on a US Reissue Jazz Bass. The bass itself was not that good, but with the 2Tek it was of the best sounding basses I have owned. I have one of the earlier 2Tek's(heavier) I'm going to put on a Custom Shop '62 Jazz. The bass already sounds great and I can't wait for the outcome with the 2Tek installed.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I've got one I had installed in my padauk bodied Ibanez Soundgear. Had it done in the early '90's. It sounds great & looks like it came with the bass. Glad to see 2 Tek is back.

PS: If I get a chance today I'll post some pics
  20. Basextravaganza

Sep 19, 2004
    Just finished a Carl Thompson look-a-like with a 2 TEK. Its absolutely great! I did not have troubles to find them in the Netherlands. A wholesaler www.voxhumana.nl has 4, 5 and 6 string in stock. If you really want one...