Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 Things

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Deception, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Deception

Deception

Feb 9, 2006
  2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    First thing I would ask is - "how far do you want to take it"?

link doesn't work.

3. Deception

Deception

Feb 9, 2006
    I want to take it pretty far, get as good as i can get it.

This is the bass: [​IMG]

Its a SAMICK CB-630TBL

I really dont know anything about bass but i want to know as much as i can,

4. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Nice bass. A friend of mine has exactly the same. I play it sometimes and feels quite good.

For me, music is more than just art. It's a way of life, and life long comitment. I'm always expreimenting with different ideas and theories to see if it pushes that envelope just a little bit further.

Best thing to do is to sit back and start listening to a sample of some great bass players. Read what they have to say about playing bass.

Also, start jamming with a drummer who might at the level as you. Doesn't really matter what you're playing, just as long as you're have fun. As matter of fact, you could start be-friending other muso's like guitarist, keyboard players etc. Try and get to know people in your local music scene - create some allies in music.

5. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    it LOOK'S like a fine bass.

6. Deception

Deception

Feb 9, 2006
    What should i be learning? How should i be learning it?

I actually have a friend who is learning guitar. ANd she is trying to start a band and has a learning drummer, another gutarist, keyboard player.

Just curious what i should learn to be somewhat successful early on.

And also what kind of amp should i get.

7. MeYHymN

MeYHymN Habitual User

Nov 7, 2004
    Charleston, WV
    I was asking myself this same question almost 2 years ago. The best way to learn how to play the bass is just play the thing (reading all the theory/instruction books in the world won't actually make you a better player, maybe more educated,diverse and well rounded ie Flea doesn't know the difference between an F# and an F Clef). Try to play along w/ radio, cd's, w/e gets your goat. Check these Gen theory links and this book list. Maybe go see what your library has to offer. If you want to cheese it out, download some tablature of your favorite bands. But it's all depending on how serious you want to take the instrument. Learn to read music in the process, listen to music you don't normally listen to, exploit this site (and it's search engine :bassist:) and your favorite internet search engine to the fullest.