2 to 3 band EQ

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'm considering changing the electronics from 2 to 3 band in my Warwick Corvette. I love the sound of the bass as it is, but would like more sound options. It'll cost me around $350 to make the switch.

I want to know if such surgery would change the sound of the bass, or simply add more options. Has anyone here done such a thing with their bass. Also....

I was told Warwick would give me the same electronics that are on the Thumb neck through. Anyone have any thoughts on the differences between the Corvette active, and the Thumb?
  2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    That's a lot of bucks!! I did switch the preamp that was installed in my Hoyt (custom maker) 5 string bass.

It came with an Aguilar onboard preamp which is two-band boost-only. I didn't like the sound, high frequency band seemed voiced high (for slap I guess), and the fact that you couldn't cut. It had a stacked treble/bass.

I pulled it and replaced it with a 3 band 18v Bartolini with switchable mid frequencies, and drilled for the two additional tone pots and the tiny mid switch. I do like the Bart's sound much better and usually boost the mids a little and flip the switch to accenuate different freqs depending on the style of the song.

Granted I can buy Bart and most stuff at cost, and did the labor myself... $350 seems like a heckuva lotta bucks, but then I don't know what you're adding-- some preamps, especially those with sweepable mids, can be expensive. But I think I'd turn around and flick the mid control on my rig preamp before I'd pay $350 to alter a single instrument! <g>

OTOH, K&K Sound makes (and I sell) a three band EQ external preamp which I often use with my 71 fretless Fender Precision, which I'll of course not chop up but do like the "active" controls and ability to boost mids and highs on the p, individually, specifically when I am switching between two basses on the same gig and don't want to muck with the amp.

check out the Pure Preamp: www.gollihur.com/kkbass/preamps.html
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I agree. $350 seems like a lot to spend on something like that.
    But then again, I might not know what I am talking about, either.