1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(2) Two Ampeg 410 HLF's and a GK 1001rb2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drooldud, May 16, 2011.

1. GK only does 8 and 4 ohms

HLF only has 4ohms out.

I came across a steal of a deal and now have 2 HLF's. I wanna stack em on there sides and make myself an 8x10.

Anyway I can re-wire these cabs to 8ohms? or combination of connecting them otgether to get 8 ohms?

Does memory serve me right that if I run my head into cab one, then cab 1 into cab 2, will that give me a usable 8 ohms?

Do I just need to use an external power amp? (not ideal)

Suggestions are welcome. :)

2. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    You can rewire each cab to 16 ohms and run them paired to get it down to 8 ohms, but the head will put out less power at that rating. If you want to run them both as is, you'll need a way to get power at 2 ohms. So...a different power amp. You could send the line out from the GK to another power amp @ 4 ohms to run the other hlf.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    If you hook up both cabs by any method, itresults in a 2 ohm load
    Don't do it.

4. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I am not familiar with the GK 1001 head, but in a conventional 4 ohm minimum head situation, if you make a 'series cable', you can externally wire the two 4 ohm cabs into 8 ohms (one plug into head, specially wired to a Y with each plug from that going into a cab) .. if you 'daisy chain' as you suggested, head into one cab, and then that cab to other cab, you will be running a 2 ohm load to the head, same as if you ran a cable from each output on the head to a cabinet ...

.. if you use a series cable, you can leave the cabs wired as is, and use a single 410 at 4 ohms if desired ...

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    ya, but how would you make a cable like that? wire one end of the cable opposite of the other end?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    ah, a y cable. of course!

7. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Sell them both and get a pair of 8ohm cabs like everyone else does... Or get a 2ohm capable head...

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yeah, either slave a 2nd amp to drive the 2nd cab, or get an external series speaker cable... Personally, I'd say that one of those cabs with that head will get really loud - so, I'd use one most of the time, and just use a slave amp to drive the 2nd during the times I needed both cabs...

IMO, they're great cabs, and match up really well with G-K heads - and a used power amp doesn't cost all that much...

You could pick up a used Crown XLS402 or 602 for under $200, if you look around - and they're pretty handy to own if you're in a band...

- georgestrings

9. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    the answer is the 2001

10. hahaha...i like the 2001 response. yes i would sure love it! so I guess this is all of my options huh? what a shame. I want an 8x10 but only got these 2-4x10's *sigh* lol