2 uses for SWR effects blend you might not have thought of.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, Mar 24, 2005.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you probably know this, then again you might not.

on the swr amps with the "side chain effects loop" that have the effects blend knob, you can input a signal from another source entirely into the effects return jack, and mix the signal with that of your bass. in the past i did that with other preamps, and on a few gigs i let a keyboard player plug into the effects return and dialed the blend to give a good mix between the two of us thru my speakers. not my favorite thing to do, but they were small gigs.

recently i went to radio shack and picked up two adapters. one that had a male mini stereo jack on one end, and two male rca/phono jacks on the other, and a second one that had two female rca/phono jacks on one side, and a mono 1/4" male plug on the other. i hooked the rca jacks together. plugged the mini stereo jack into the headphone out of my laptop, and plugged the 1/4 mono jack into the effects return of my swr electric blue. that amp has a headphone out jack. now i can learn new tunes off of mp3's and play along to them any time of the day or night wearing headphones.

the second thing i did a couple of days ago was inspired by an article i read about nashville session players in BP mag years ago. they have a bopx called a "mor-me" which lets them take a headphone mix and add as much of their bass signal to it as they want. i wanted more bass in my mix, and wanted it loud enough that i could stand in the room with the drummer. i sent a DI from the swr to the board. i also had a cab miced in the other room. i sent my effetcs send as a line out to a poweramp which powered the speaker to be miced. i took a regular 1"4 cable and plugged one end into the headphone out jack from the control room, and the other end into my effects return. i was able to use the effets blend control to mix between the regular headphone mix being sent to me, and my bass signal from the amp/ the swr wasnt powering any speakers, just my headphones. the line out to the poweramp didnt contain any of the headphone mix as i sent it from the effects send (which is post eq on swr. worked great, i finally was able to hear myself in a room with a loud drummer.

BTW, this should be able to work with any amp that has a blendable effects loop and a headphone out.
  2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I use a cheap Behringer Mixer for all those uses with my SWR.
    Mainly because I always use BBE, Compression, and rack FX's too.
    Quiet Headphones & Monitoring, Mixing Wet/Dry, Record Out, extra Stereo Outs,
    Add straight tube DI to the FX & EQ, etc...