Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 way splitter into amp

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bass_drum, Apr 14, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey guys, when I plug two basses into my amp (one into active, one into passive input) I get no sound at all. I have found a way to rememdy this, and that is to get a two way splitter so I'm actually plugging to basses (or bass and mic(wich is what I want to do)) into one input. So now I'm wondering, where can I order a 2 way splitter?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You shouldn't be doing that though. Your amp has two ins to choose from-it's not meant to run to ins at the same time. You'll either get little or no sound out of one of the basses.

3. I've done it, but I'm scared that it might be too much input for the amp to handle.

4. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    im not to scared ,since my amp is pretty big. Can you get one of those splitteres at radioshack

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    may I suggest a ABY box? Morley makes a cheap one, and others are to be had at varying levels of quality.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    He'd only need an A/B box with two inputs, as he's wanting to plug them both into the same input on the amp, although it would have to allow for both inputs to be used at the same time, which I haven't seen before, as it's a bad idea.

7. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    You've never seen someone plug two instruments (or mics) into an amp before?

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've seen it done and not work, or at least not work well.

9. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Btw I'm not wanting to do this live, just for practicing.

10. you need a peavey mark series head, theres an active and a passive input, but if you plug into both inputs they both become active inputs, like the -10db pad, and it always works great, cos i had this head and my cab before one of my mates got his amp, so he used to always run into my amp as well.....sounded rather good actually, bass and guitar through a 15" cab

11. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    I hate to say the B word but Behringer makes some really small cheap mixers. A freind of mine has one for sub mixing and it gets the job done.
    Since this is a practice situation, it might be an alternative solution.
    The Eurorack UB502 has 1 mic and 1 line input and is only $35.

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Jeez, you'd think Behringer would be asterisk'd by now...

Don't do it if your amp isn't designed for it -- which it clearly isn't.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This was going to be my suggestion. It might work, just don't put too much gain on the output of the little mixer. You can't, however just use a Y cable or splitter for this. Each input needs a buffer amp, and the little mixer provides this.

[​IMG]

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Amen. My Mark VI handles synth duties as well as fretless bass. Underrated but beautiful amps in their own way. Even better when you get it and a 115 cab with a $200 EV EVM-15B speaker in it for $70 ;)

15. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.

I have the Behringer UB802 mixer for silent practicing, it works great and has plenty of gain in the preamp stage for a bass, plus it has the inputs for a cd player so you can jam along with whatever you want and practice through headphones.

16. pezoamo

pezoamo Guest

Mar 1, 2005
    I have a single microphone jack in my computer. Would the Eurorack UB502 turn it into 5 jacks?

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Short answer, yes.

18. pezoamo

pezoamo Guest

Mar 1, 2005
    Whats the long answer? (if there is one)

19. I have pluged both my basses into my peavey Mark III without a problem I would never play both at the same time, but I just have on in the stand and play the other and switch them as needed.

20. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I've plugged 2 basses and a guitar into my amp, but it's very odd. The volume knob of each instrument controls the volume of all 3 instruments. Same thing for 2 instruments, whether it's with a Y cable or one into the High input and one into the Low input.