Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 x 10'' or 1 x 15''

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zuri, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Zuri

Zuri

Jun 14, 2005
    Behringer recommend combining their Ultrabass heads with two cabs: a 2 x 10'' (BB210) and a 1 x 15'' (BA 115). At this point I can only afford to buy one of them, which one should I go for?
    Which one do I really need, and which one do you consider an optional extra?

Thanks!
    Zuri

2. airrore

airrore

Aug 10, 2005
    Dayton, Ohio
    Personally, i prefer 10's for better response/punch, but if i could only get one i might favor the 1x15 because the 2x10 (IMO) is used as an accompanyment to a primary cab. (plus the 2x10 cab might be small and would silly onstage, i guess it depends)

2 CENT'D!

3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    15's have their own mojo that 10's just can't reproduce. I suggest a Bag End S15X-D (my most lusted after cab at the moment).
    [​IMG]

4. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Get the 15 first. I have the BA115 and the cab gives me what I want. Loud and solid bass. The 210's are easier to transport but are a little lacking in the low end department. They have mids for days but if you play a 5/6 string the low B will not be reproduced properly. Also the 15 has a switchable tweeter so if you need some highs it is there. The only thing I don't like about the tweet is it does not have a level control. It is either fully on or off. But for the price the cab is solid. Here is my review I gave a couple of months ago.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173934&highlight=behringer+ba115

5. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I too would recommend a 15 before getting a 10" speaker cab; if you can get only one. Although the combination will be great. The punch of 10s and the bottom of 15s. Also try Avatar sepaker theyre highly regarded here on TB.

6. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I run a Behringer 3000T head with one 15 and it rules! Sounds great and plenty of volume.

7. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    After owning plenty of 15" cabs and 15" combos, and lots of 10s, I'd say get the 2x10. The lack of low end definition is almost unnoticeable, but the 2x10 will sound much less muddy and bring more definition over a greater range. I use a 15", but only with a 4x10 cab to accompany. When only using one cab, I much prefer 10s. When you push a 15 at a loud volume, it gets pretty muddy.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Not if you use high quality 15's.. There is no mud in my JBL's period ... Nice and snappy. You won't find the Bag End 1x15 being muddy either.

9. Zuri

Zuri

Jun 14, 2005
    Great to read all this info. Thanks to everyone!
    Zuri

10. booch

booch

Aug 12, 2004
    Hi,

I would say it depends on which situations you will play in.

I owned both 2*10 and 1*15 and I preferred the low end the 1*15 gave me. I think the lack of lows using a 2*10 is definitely noticeable, although this may depend on the cab used and personal tastes and tones. I have an Eden 2*10 XST, and that baby surely has tons of lows, amazing for a 2*10.

Back to the question...
    2*10's have more "directed", "targeted" sound. 1*15 sound tend to "spread". In English this means that if you use a 1*15 on a larger stage, you are more likely to just hear a general low frequency and lose some definition. In this situation, with a 2*10 you are more likely to lose lows though.
    On the other hand, in a smaller club 1*15 provides the low end you need.

Again, it's up to tastes and the quality of the used cab. I have never used Eden's 1*15 so I don't know how much speed and definition it offers.

If you can borrow the cab you're about to buy, try to play it in a loud and a quiet gig, you'll hear the difference and be able to choose more easily.

11. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1.......

I have played/owned numerous 15's and now I own an Avatar 210. I feel that the 212 affords me the ballsy low end I'm missing from the 10's and the crisp, snappy mids and highs I lack from the 15.

Matter of fact, I ordering a 212 from Avatar to compliment my 210 just for those reasons.

Go this route and you won't be sorry!!!!

12. 1 15" I say. You will get a lower frequency response from the 1 15". I'm playing with a Fender 250/115 combo, and it has a 15" Fender Special Design EminenceĀ® USA PRO speaker. I highly perfer the 115 over the 210.

I went back n' for for over an hour, perhaps approcahing 2 hours at the store. Back n' forth, back n' forth between the Fender 250/210 adn 250/115.

The 210's had more mids, but IMO seemed MORE muddy due the the low end not being produced as well and "fogging" up. The 115 produced the low end in a much more solid fashion w/ PLENTY of mids and highs. PLENTY.

This is bass baby, all about the low end. Check out the frequency response and decide what is low enough for you. I wouldn't go any higher then 43Hz though IMO.

13. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Not necessarily. These are the usable frequency responses of the Eminence 12" Delta, NEO , and Kappa drivers respectively:

Delta 12 50Hz - 5kHz
    NEO 12 45Hz - 3.5kHz
    Kappa 12 35Hz - 2.5kHz

Here's the Kappa and Delta 15:

Kappa 40Hz - 4kHz
    Delta 40Hz - 4kHz

[/QUOTE]This is bass baby, all about the low end. Check out the frequency response and decide what is low enough for you. I wouldn't go any higher then 43Hz though IMO.[/QUOTE]

Modern growl is absolutely right on this...it's all about the low, booty shakin' bass...but ya gotta be able to cut thru the mix as well...and that takes low mids. A/B a bunch of cabs and buy what sounds good to your ears

14. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I own the Avatar delta 210 and the SB112. The Behringer is a welcome addition to the family. The aluminum brings a quicker response and snappier sound to the 15. That is why I bought it. Not all 15's are created equal and each manufacturer's will sound different to a point. It is all subjective. You have to try them and see for yourself. I love my Avatars but the Behringer brings more solid bottom than the 112 can bring by itself. Now Avatar's 115 or 212 may be entirely different.

I think these cabs get short changed because the Behringer name is attached. "They made them so they must be crap" is the typical response. I have tried them and they are a nice surprise. YMMV but try out as many brands as you can. You may find your diamond in the rough. ;)

15. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I worked at a venue once that had the exact same Fender amp in a 115 and a 210. You would not believe how different they sounded. The 210 reproduced the notes clearly, the 115 sounded like it a moose mumbling underwater.

People who say 10's don't reproduce lows as well as 15's miss the fact that bass waves propagate over hard surfaces and get louder. What you don't hear standing over the amp in GC, you WILL hear on the gig. Go tens for live applications and don't ever look back, UNLESS you are recording and want some old-school motown thump.

16. A moose mumbling under water? Speakers must of been blow or something. My 250/115 is nothing short of tight.

And in my A/B at a small shop, (NO GC) with both amps right next to eachother (I was same distance from both) I HIGHLY prefered the 115. Tightness was same, ONLY hearable diff was the lows weren't produced as well on the 210. YMMV as I can see.

17. yo
    sorry to jump in your thread dude but its kind of related and may help both of us:)
    im in a similair situation, exept i can afford both, however i only have the cash for either one of these to be higher end?
    should i be looking at getting a higher end 1x15 or 2x10 and a lower end 1x15 or 2x10 n vice versa?

what are some reccomended models out there?
    p.s. (no bag end in australia)
    cheers

18. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    My vote is for a higher end 15" cab....15's can be muddy sometimes, so I'd want the best electronics, materials, and workmanship to faithfully reproduce the lower, harder -to-hear frequncies. This doesn't mean that this is a hard and fast rule, just my opinion

19. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    OK, I'll state the obvious alternative...get a 4x10. I'd prefer that to anything that involves a 15".