2 x 15 twice the fun?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by millard, Jan 11, 2005.

1. millard

Jul 27, 2004
    As y'all have probably noticed, I'm cab shopping, so here's the next question. I'm trying to find local used cabs that are in very good shape. Found an Eden 410xlt and I've also found an Eden 215xlt. No one is giving up the Bag End 15s.

The 410xlt didn't quite do it for me without matching it with a 115 -- I could feel the low end that the 15 brought to the party. Which doesn't quite make sense because the tuning difference by spec is only a few hz. But I was sitting there with bass in lap and I wasn't shelling out the bucks unless I could take the 15 also.

I haven't listened to the 2x15 yet, but someone I trust (who might not have had Eden gear in mind), once told me '2 1x15s would be great, but not a 2x15'. Is he just worried about my back or is there something not quite the same about 2 15s in the same box?

2. Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    2x15 are good but...1)heavy and 2)have a somewhat muffled sound (compared to 2 1x15 cabs)

I still have 2 2x15 cabs that I use but tend to use 4x10 or 1x15

Personally I would wait on 2 1x15 BagEnd cabs
  3. Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL
    The reason you can feel 15" drivers better than 10" drivers isnt because of the frequency range covered. The reason is that the 15 physically displaces more air per sound element.

Remember sound travels as compression waves. And just because sound is traveling towards you at the same exact frequency doesn't mean it sounds the same given two different levels of compression medium ( air in this case ).

Drivers are better at phasing sounds that have waveforms that are smaller than their compression surface. This is why smaller drivers can't reproduce low frequency sounds with clarity. They can in fact ocilate at the apropriate frequency just not with sufficient amplitude to make complete compression waveforms larger then their element surface area.

The converse to this is large drivers have too much moving mass to to physiclaly ocilate at higher frequencies. The smaller the driver surface the lower the mass the higher the supported frequency range.

Because of this the cleanest sound (re)productions are on drivers tuned to the aproprate production ranges by physical size and only given a signal range they can nominally reproduce within these physical limits.

4. Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL
    On the topic of multiple 15's in one box. Drivers produce as much air displacement off the backside as they do off of the front.

If the 2 15's are in a cabinet where they are physically isolated from each other and not sharing the same aispace and porting they will sound as clean as 2 seperate 15" cabinets.

If they are sharing air and porting they will "push" each other and cause the sound to distort and most likely sound muffled, this is especially true if the porting is tuned to be used for one 15 and you have 2. Proper tuned porting will limit the amount of push they exert on each other but without 100% isolation they will always seem less punchy.

I haven't been looking at musical production sound equipment for very long but I'm certainly not new to the physics of sound and it baffles me that some of the cabinet manufacturers seem to be under the misconception that since every element in the cabinet is the same size and producing sound in mono ( every elemet playing the same exact thing ) that they assume they wont interfere with each other and this is completely naieve on their part.

5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Mesa' older cabs are made like this.
  6. I've long preferred the sound of 15's over 10's. For several years I used a host of different 1x15 cabs (solo or in pairs), but for the past 2-3 years I've used the SWR Big Bertha 2x15 cab, and it does exactly what I want it to. It gives the sound I want, at the volume I want. It's around 115 or so pounds, and it's a tilt and roll cabinet, designed sort of like an SVT cab but smaller and lighter. It's actually easier for me to load into the station wagon by just tilting it onto the deck and pushing it in. Stairs are a bear, but no more than carrying a 90 lb 4x10.
  7. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    I've got an old EV B215M cabinet
    (2 EV 15's and a 6" midrange) and with a tube
    head it gives me a great sound. I prefer it
    to my Epi T112/ T212 setup, but unfortunatly
    I don't get much of a chance to use it anymore
    due to small clubs and working in a folk band.

Still keeping the cabinet though <huge grin>

Phil Anderson
    tucson, AZ
  8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    My pre-Gibson Trace Elliot 2x15 cab has separate chambers for each driver. It definately has a well defined sound that is really clear and punchy. My cab is only 36" tall and the weight is at 103 lbs. Its alot easier to move around than an Ampeg fridge!

I personally only run 15's. I admit however that I haven't really tried any of the newer 2x12 cabs yet.
  9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ya know, there's a reason people arent giving away those bag end 1x15 cabs :D

BTW, this is another great thread where it pays to remember to listen with your ears, not just by specs.
  10. In my experience thus far, I prefer single drivers in one cab, with the exception of a horn/tweet device. Although there are many great cabs our there; past and present; I seem to prefer this especially with 12" and more so with 15". I've never had 18" cabs (except for our subs). I do however own a 610 sealed cab ( Berg NV610) and it is very defined in all the freqencies, but 10" are still not my favorite tonewise. I do love the 12" and I've always loved the sound of a 15". I'm currently shopping for a Berg Ht115 and would love to try the Bags since so many players love them. I also currently own a Mesa Boogie Diesel 1x15 EV loaded. It's a very good sounding cab but I don't us it much these days since I sold my Mesa 400+ amps. It really sounded great with that combo, and true as mentioned, one of the best dual 15 cabs I ever heard was the Mesa Road Ready lead-slead.
  11. Thats the same cab I use and I think that it is really useful. Big bottoms and with sufficient clarity not to miss a 4x10. I've had to install wheels on it though.
  12. Dr. D

Dr. D Loaded For Bear

Jan 13, 2005
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I am fairly new to basses and bass amps. I have a new ibanez sr300, and my question is will I destroy my speaker. If ai use it, or do a need a bass specific speaker.

I am running a peavey 118 cabinet and speaker with a pv-2600 (2600 watt) amp. I havent tried it yet. But should this sound good ? yep, I'm a real newbie

take it easy on me :bag:
  13. depends on the ohms of the 118 speaker

but I would say 2600 watts is slightly too much for 1 cab
  14. Dr. D

Dr. D Loaded For Bear

Jan 13, 2005
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Well, the 1600 is 1300 per channel unbridged, and peavey recommends not bridging on their speakers claiming it will damage the speakers. and the speaker is a 4 ohm load so I am probably pushing 900 watts from it.

I also have a set of jbl 115's, and a set of electrovoice force speakers, and a couple of peavey floor monitors. I am trying to determine if I have what I need with out buying more.

It isnt that I cant afford a separate bass setup, I am just trying to figure the best way to go. I am usually a freak for quality sound. I played damn near every bass in the shop before I settled on this one.