2 x 2x12” versus 2x10” + 15”

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by My bass in your, Nov 26, 2003.

1. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003

I’m tired of volume problems, so I want to end this once and for all within the next year. I’m saving big time for a new amplification. I have no volume problems with my monstrous big ass 2x15”, but portability, mobility and storing are issues too.
    My “small” setup I use for gigs is an Ashdown MAG 2x10” + a custom made 15”. Powered by a solid state Ampeg SVT200T head, 350 watt. This isn’t cutting it against 240 Watt of geetar tubeys through 2 Mesa/Boggy 4x12”ers. It’s a combination of lack of clean power and speaker surface. Although the speakers are a bit more efficient than regulars.
    I’m planning to upgrade this rig with an amp in the 600-700 watt region. Like: Gallien Krueger 1001RB II or Ashdown ABM 500 EVO. But I’m afraid the increase of power won’t give me THAT much more volume. I read several times that a 2x10” + 15” can’t go very loud, no matter how many watts you throw at it.

Now, I’m considering to sell both cabs and buy two 2x12”ers. I like the sound of them, and I think they can give me much more punch in the low-mid area, that’s where I need it. For small gigs I can bring just one and still have the same sound. I’m not planning to buy an expensive brand like Eden, Aguilar or EBS. Think brands like Peavey, Yorkville, maybe Ashdown…
    2 x 2x12” = 4x12” stacked like a Aguilar Papa cab. Would this be a lot louder than a 2x10” + 15” setup? (Question no. 1)

How would you compare the portability of a 2x12” to a 4x10”? (2) And to a 15”? (3)

What would you try first. New cab(s) or the head? (4)

Bonus question (5):
    How can I convince my geetarplayers that if they tune their geetars down 2 steps or play their 7-stringers that they should CUT the bass on the amp instead of BOOSTING it?

Thank you bassing friends from all over the world!

- Haico
  2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'm in the process of moving from 2 single 15's to a single 2x12. I picked up one of the Music Man 2x12's and with enough power behind it, it can get very loud. It is also quite a deep sounding cab so you have to be a bit careful with the EQ. The voicing is very different from my old JBL based cab's. It is also a very heavy cabinet at around 100 lbs (about 45 kg). Not light at all. A pair of these would require a younger, stronger back than mine but with enough watts would sound killer!

I'd say go audition some 2x12 cabs. Maybe EBS, seeing as they are a 'Euro-brand', well a 'kroner-brand actually' maybe they'd be a bit more affordable on your side of the Atlantic ? What about Warwick ? I've never played with their amps however their basses seem nice enough.

The MM cabs are supposedly based on Italian made BCS drivers - Is there a European company doing a similar cab ? Maybe BCS would tell you ...

Best bet for your guitar player situation is to get them to really listen to the mix. Rent a hall if you have to, setup and have them play from out front. Work with everyone's EQ until you get a mix you like. If the guitar players are worhth working with, they'll get the idea and contribute.

No major act goes on the road without a full stage rehersal. In general there are may of them. Any smaller act wanting to go big, has to do pretty much the same thing. It isn't cheap and listening to the tape can be humbling - but better you know that before you do it for real !
  3. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    4Mal, thanks for you input!

More thoughts/experiences?
  4. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Hi Haico,

I regularly play in 2 situations, one with 2 50/60 watt half stacks, and the other with 2 100-watt half stacks. The easiest solution is just ask your guitar players to turn down. With 2 120 watt stacks, you probably need to mic the kick and snare drums just for practice... and sorry to say, convincing them to cut their low EQ may require a few blown drivers before they get the idea. :D

The 2x10/1x15 combination can get pretty loud with enough power. With the new amp you should get enough volume to match a pair of 50 watt half stacks.

You probably don't want to hear this, but against a pair of 120 watt stacks you're gonna need your 2x15 plus your 2x10. I used that combination with only about 400 watts into the stack, and it was pretty good against the 2 100's and kick and snare drums mic'ed up. It would be better with a 4x10 or 8x10 on top.

My current guitarist in one of the projects is actually a bassist (yay!), and on bass he uses a 1x18+2x10 cab, plus a 2x15 cab.

I was also looking at 2x12's for awhile, but once you throw out all the reviews from guys who play in low volume situations it looks like a 2x12 only gets you the volume of a 1x15 with the size and weight of a 4x10. If you really want 12's, I think a 4x12 is the only way to go for a high volume situation.

Good luck, and turn it up!
  5. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    A new amp first. Will do. Thanks for the tips!

Experiences are still welcome though..
  6. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Would a 4x10/2x12 setup be a possible option for you? I think it'd be a very efficient combination, while still retaining the lows. I have a 2x12, and I was originally thinking of getting another 2x12 to go with it, but lately I've been thinking of eventually getting either a 2x10 or a 4x10 instead. Only concern would be weight, as 4x10s are usually a bit heavier than 2x12s. :)
  7. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    I've heard of cabinets where you would only need one 2x12 to solve your problem.;)

8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Whatever you decide to buy, make sure you budget for a set of musicians earplugs.
  9. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Yes, good point!

Lockout, that's a good idea too.
    I'm pretty broke now and I think I'm going save for a new amp first. Then I'll buy a nice 2x12" and then I'll decide what 2nd cab I need.

I need to sell my current cabs too.. :(
  10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I would suggest either an Epifani T212 or a Bergantino HT322 (1x12 + 2x10 + HF driver in one cabinet -- with sufficient power, it will get very loud & sound awesome).

If you have the cash, you might consider one of the following solutions as well:

two Berg HT210's
    two Accugroove Tri 112's
    two Berg HT112's plus two Berg EX112's

[Can you tell I like Bergantino stuff?]