1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 x peavey cabs any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NZBassman, Jun 29, 2014.

1. I've got my eye on a peavey 210TX
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=747869683&permanent=0
    and a peavey 115BX
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instruments/instruments/guitar-bass/bass-amps/auction-747872801.htm
    both are 4ohm cabs
    do you think they would be compatible with an Ashdown EVO 900 III?
    The Ashdown has the ability to run 2 x 4ohm cabs (or 4 x 8ohm cabs!)
    at the moment I'm running a Warwick 410 4x10 which is 600m at 8ohms, and on stage our drummer always complains he can't hear the bass notes clearly (I play a squire vintage modified jazz) and guitarist said the same thing after last nights gig.

We mic everything up (DI bass amp to mixing desk) and out front sound is mint but my warwick just doesn't seem to be cutting the mustard... I'm pretty sure my amp is fine, I have volume on half and it's loud enough on stage for me, but in saying that I stand next to one of the PA Speakers and can hear my bass pretty clearly through there.

The reason I'm looking at this is
    1) to have more volume to play with on stage
    2) so I can take the 2x10 to rehearsals and both cabs to gigs,
    3) I played my amp / bass recently through a 1x15 and a 2x10 and it sounded great...
    plus I like the versatility factor of using 1 or both cabs

I've heard some people say you should never mix your cabs and always use 2 cabs the same like 2x 15's

what are your thoughts?

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Search engine as to cab mixing. This has been beaten to death on a weekly basis, with no consensus, but a majority in favor of no mix. But your ears should rule.

3. brotondo

brotondo

Feb 7, 2012
    Kimball MI
    Well, I've found lumping 2 cabs sucks, the 2-10 alone won't be enough for rehearsal , 10's and 15's sound just fine together, just watch cab ohmage , if its loud enough for you it's loud enough. Try more mids or tell drummer to get a hearing test.
    If anything get an additional 4x10.
    I'd say you're downgrading to that rig.

4. Since a 1X15 only has about the same output as a 2X10, you are really not gaining anything by changing from a 4X10.

In fact, you could be disappointed as the only way to know if the 2X10 + 1X15 rig will sound good together is after you get it.

Sartori and RickenBoogie like this.
  5. False blanket statement - there is plenty info around about the problems caused by mixing speaker sizes.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to basspounder's opening statement. This is a lateral move, at best, and quite possibly a step backwards. Wattage does not equal volume, it's all about the spkr cabs, so I agree, a 2nd matching 8 ohm 410 would be a huge step forward.

7. brotondo

brotondo

Feb 7, 2012
    Kimball MI
    True, a highly opinionated subject, but manufacturers and players still do it everyday?!! To obviously "just fine results" or they would've stopped making mixed sized cabs long ago. But we could go on and on..and they have.
    There are more important issues at stake here!
    IMO .... Peavey 1820 one of best bass cabs Peavey ever made.. Love em, mixed sizes and all.

8. FYI - Your beloved Peavey 1820 has a crossover in it. Different animal then running mixed speaker sizes in the same bandpath.

9. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    what are your e.q. settings for your stage sound? is there room in the stage mix for you to boost your mids? that might help you be heard by others onstage.

10. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    No BG in the monitors? No way you should not be heard on stage w/a mic'd up 410. Maybe you need a new sound guy. Bands play stadiums/arenas with a 410 bass cab (or equivalent) all the time.

11. Thanks for the replies..... drummer is our sound guy (we're just a covers band in Auckland NZ!)
    I'm finding with the modified Jazz that there are plenty of mids and boosting the mids on the amp makes it sound crap and too 'middy'
    It's not the first time that the drummer has complained he can't hear my bass clearly, but it is very unusual for the guitarist complain also - he asked if I had played with the settings on my amp between 2nd and 3rd sets... which I hadn't.

I looked up the specs for the peavey and they are heavy - I've had peavey gear before and really liked it s that's why I was interested in the 2 cabs - plus I've plyed my amp through a 4ohm cab and it was grunty / loud as
    might just have another play around with my amp / cab to make sure I'm getting the best out of it....

12. I would avoid getting a 4 ohm cab that's only two 10"s or only one 15" driver. Greatly limits your ability to expand if you want/need to, and isn't all that much louder.

13. I have used one cab to one amp type rigs most of my playing career however I just picked up a 2x10 combo amp and I amp keeping my eyes open for an extension cabinet to pair with it. Besides the obvious to make sure the ohms and wattage limits are within the amp and current cabinets range many will also say to get a matching cabinet with the same speaker size and amount of speakers as well as same manufacturer if all possible. Many will also say if you are going to lug 2 2x10 cabinets around then why not just get a 4x10? The reason being you probably want the flexibility to use both when needed and use only one cab for smaller gigs. And of course the classic hate on the 4x10 paired with the 1x15 yet I see a good majority of people using this type of rig configuration. In my research I have found a lot of decent things to be said for pairing a 1x15 with a 2x10 which is one of the options I am currently looking into myself. As for Peavey, their older stuff is built like a tank and is made to last, has decent tone and usually can be found for cheap...however many will also say it's "low end budget gear." I usually ask for opinions on gear however all in all it's really up to you and your ears as others have already mentioned. What sounds good to one person may not to the next. I would also suggest if your amp can handle/support it to always try to find 8 ohm cabinets because you generally have better luck with being able to pair an extension/another cab to that one.

14. The main problem, for me, with the 4x10 and 1x15 pairing is that it's so lopsided.

A 4x10 has almost twice the speaker area that a 1x15 has, and so it's going to be quite a bit louder unless you have a real monster of a 15.

Unless you're using different amps for each cab, if you have, say, 1000 watts, the 4x10 and the 1x15 are each getting 500w. Since the 4x10 splits it four ways, each driver is getting a very manageable 125w. Meanwhile, the 15" driver, all by itself, is getting 500 watts.

Depending on the models of driver used, this might mean that the 15" will be close to getting blown out while the 10" drivers are still merrily chugging along.

And, what's more, typically, since people put the 15" on the bottom (for basically no reason), and the fact that it's likely going to be quieter, you won't even be able to hear signs of its impending failure.

I do agree about favoring 8 ohm cabs if you're using small cabs, though. Much more flexibility that way.

15. Exactly, you seem to have that figured out for yourself. However I still say always get what sounds best to you and what you're going for tone and music wise.

16. I can pick up the Ashdown Mag series cabs pretty cheap and can get a 1x15 for about $300 (NZ$) but they are only 200-300 watts and my amp being 575w side, may be too powerful for them.
    I don't really want to get another 4x10 as there is not the space in my car for 2 big cabs, nor the space at some of the venues we play at
    somone is also selling a Fender 8x10, but is weighs 72kgs and wouldn't fit in my car

17. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Lateral move. Waste of money. If you need more power but don't have room for another 410, sell your Warwick and buy a neodymium 410 cab.

18. Clearly you need to replace your car.

Get two 1x15 cabs.

19. jason73

jason73

Jan 13, 2014
    I have found that if your gonna mix 10in speakers with 15's, your really have to have some hella 15's. For a long time I ran a 4x10 on top of 2 2x15's ran biamped. As previously stated "time for a new car". And a roadie.

20. Only misgiving I would have is you're stuck with needing a 2-ohm amp.

2x10 vertical over a 1x15 works good enough for me, slays a 4x10 for being audible off-axis. Your drummer probably only hears his own kick coming from the subs.