1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 x Rumble 115 or PF-115hlf for 5 string player.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by therhodeo, Nov 18, 2018.

1. therhodeo

therhodeo

Feb 28, 2011
    Owasso OK
    Mostly play stingray style basses fingerstyle with some occasional pick place. Looking for a pretty classic sound. Have a power amp that puts out 2x200 watts at 8ohms per side or 2x280 watts at 4 ohms per side. Or will do 560 watts into 8 ohm bridged if you know of a larger single cab alternative.

2. Define "classic sound"? I suggest you take a trip to Guitar Center and start playing some gear. Otherwise, you are going to get a bunch of people on here recommending their favorite cabinets regardless if they would work for you or not. With a power amp, you obviously have to have a bass preamp to get your sound pumping through. Have you determined what you will use for a preamp and will it adequately push the power amp?

3. therhodeo

therhodeo

Feb 28, 2011
    Owasso OK
    Just want to know which one will work serviceably better down to B. Preamp and power amp have worked fine together in the past for various uses and instruments. Been to GC. Ampeg 410hlf and was muddy and too big as was the Markbass 4x10. TE elf 2x8 didn't have the low end extension. Otherwise they had piles of combo amps. If it were that easy or if Fender posted specs more in depth than the texture of vinyl on the cab I wouldn't be here asking.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    For a more classic sound, I might suggest a PF210he. The 115's in the PF line go very low, especially the PF115lf. Neither go as crazy low as the 410hlf, but I think they have more in common with the 410hlf than the 810e.

5. therhodeo

therhodeo

Feb 28, 2011
    Owasso OK
    I'm playing pretty straight forward stuff but the 90s country stuff quite often goes down on the B string. Ideally I'd like to find some blend of the old sealed cab sound and something with more low extension like a modern ported cab. Probably best case might be going for the sealed sound out of my cab and getting the extension from a DI signal in the mains.

6. "Probably best case might be going for the sealed sound out of my cab and getting the extension from a DI signal in the mains."

Exactly! Focus on the thicker bass frequencies (80-150hz) along with the low mids for your rig and let the PA do the heavy lifting. Two cabinets stacked vertically is the way to go here.

7. therhodeo

therhodeo

Feb 28, 2011
    Owasso OK
    2 cabs vertically was the plan.

8. therhodeo

therhodeo

Feb 28, 2011
    Owasso OK
    Still want to know how these 2 compare

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I would say the PF115he is exactly what you want, then. Small and sealed, reminiscent of the old B-15 cabs, and has a good bit more low end than them but isn't muddy. Have not tried the PF115lf yet and you may like that one, but I used to own a couple PF115hlf's and the tonal profile you want is what they have. As always, YMMV, but I think it's pretty well dead-on to your needs.

10. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    What more in depth specs should Fender post?

I haven't heard a Rumble 115, but I own a Bassman Pro 115 Neo that gets a classic sound with my Bassman amp and as an extension to my Rumble combo. And I play all the way down to the low B, occasionally, on my three main BEAD strung basses.

I've read that others who have heard, or even owned, both Bassman and Rumble think they sound enough alike to enjoy saving money with the Rumble. I prefer the higher power rating of the Bassman.

Neither the Bassman nor the Rumble is sealed, though. They are both front ported.

Hope this helps. :)

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Lo-to-hi frequency response would be nice at least.

12. therhodeo

therhodeo

Feb 28, 2011
    Owasso OK
    And a sensitivity rating.