Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 x10 cab for GK 700RB-II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigdaddy, Feb 4, 2005.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy

Feb 4, 2005
    texarkana, usa
    I am about to get a 700RB-II. I have a 115 cab already and would like to add a 210. Any suggestions? What about the 210 combo? Help!

2. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I think the choice of 210 would partly depend on the character of your 15. Is it a big deep cab, a brighter middy one, dark sounding?

As an example, I'm using Eden D210T and D115T together and they fit well sonically. The Eden 210 with my SWR Goliath II 410 didn't work well...the Goliath is darker and needs more power...the Eden is brighter and more efficient. Likewise, the Carvin 115 I used to have was worlds away from the tone and character of the Eden. Carvin's 210 worked well with the Carvin 15, but another 210 wouldn't fit as well.

Then, too, there's the impedance issues...you'll need 2 8 ohm cabs with the 700RB. Your current 15 is 8 ohms, yes?

About the combo choice, besides sonic and impedance matching, you'll also need to consider the gains and tradeoffs of that route. For example, the tiltback feature is nice, but I sometimes find myself on a small stage where the 210 on its end fits nicely...it'd be hard to do that with the combo :meh:

3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    You need a Mesa Powerhouse 2x10. They come with a heavy rubber type of covering that wears well and stays looking sharp. I used to have two Mesa 4x10's, a 1x15, and a 2x10. They looked as good when I sold them as when I bought them new. Carpet covered cabinets look like cheap crap and it's impossible to keep them clean. My Eden cabinets are covered with dirt, cat hair, ground in cig ashes and bar stench. I can't even bring them in the house or the smell will make me puke. Try the Mesa cabinet. They don't sound too bad either. ;)

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy

Feb 4, 2005
    texarkana, usa
    I have a Peavey 8 ohm 300 watt Black Widow. I would like an 8ohm 210 cab that i could use most of the time and have the 115 for louder gigs. I play jazz most of the time and do not need a big rig...but i do sometimes play a rock or country gig where a little more bottom and volume would be nice.

5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    What would go nicely with the 1x15 is a Peavey 2x10. The TVX series looks like it is covered in black tolex.....sweet.

6. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I was thinking of the Peavey 210...but aren't those 4 ohms?

In this case, the 700RB combo might be a good idea...the tiltback feature might be handy in a jazz setting.

7. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Note to sound like a broken record (er..cd) The Epifani
    210UL, has a ton of lows, with an open top end. This could
    be a very good match for the 700 rbII, which has a little
    more forward and fast sounding upper mid and top end.
    This combo is good for slapping or finger styles. The fact
    that its only 38lbs is just frosting on the cake. jmho

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy

Feb 4, 2005
    texarkana, usa
    what about avatar? never heard of it until recently...all good reviews...the price sure looks good for the wattage and speakers...?.??.??

9. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    The Avatar's are excellent cabinets, good sound and good price. Covered with carpet, though. :meh: :rolleyes: