1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

$20,000?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hector_G, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Hector_G

Hector_G

Apr 6, 2009
    El Paso, Texas
  2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    No.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Not even close. Anybody know what they sold for new?

4. Looks like a caricature of a real bass...

5. Hector_G

Hector_G

Apr 6, 2009
    El Paso, Texas
    As far as I know they didn't even make it to production. My girlfriend was friends with them or something, so she keeps up with the band. She told me that he put the bass up for auction. I looked into it and did some research.

Tye put that same bass up on eBay a couple weeks ago. Started the bid at 99 cents. It got up to $1,500, but then he took it down. I was going to bid on it. yeah I'd pay $2000 at most for it. It is a nice bass.
    The description in the original post valued the bass at that much and I thought to myself, "No F'ing way."

And then there's this.
    http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/alienantfarm/updates/18788

6. It was at 16 000$ buy it now a couple of days ago...

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hmmmmm. I thought I remembered that bass being in the catalog a some years ago. Maybe nobody bought one?

8. exidor

exidor

Jul 10, 2011
    Detroit,MI
    this is what happens when you you get a May custom bass,you sell your custom fender.
    If I remember right Tye paid 6 or 7000 for it.to rich for my blood.

9. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    to each his own, but that is one unappealing looking bass...I am sure the construction is top notch, but... ugh

no bass is worth $20,000, and especially not that one

10. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I'm sure the guys in AAF are great people, but I can't even imagine how they're still around these days. They went as quickly as they came in my mind. I don't know anyone who still listens to them :bag:

11. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    It's back! He needs a new approach to selling this.

As for crowd funding their album... Well my band did for our EP and it was fun. I've seen big artists use the method for various reasons - fan involvement, publicity, etc. - but something tells me AAF have simply run out of money at some point and are now scrounging. No judgements here, though - the industry can be heartless.

There was an Australian band called Sunk Loto. They were great at the time, were touring and selling lots of albums and such. They went quiet for a few years after their second album, and then I saw they had started advertising vocal, guitar, bass, and drum lesson through their MySpace page. That must've felt like rock bottom and it probably looked, to the unsympathetic, pretty desperate.

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Nope. Not worth even close to $20k.

13. Hector_G

Hector_G

Apr 6, 2009
    El Paso, Texas
    Totally dig you on this. Yeah I would imagine that the industry is completely unforgiving. Maybe it's just me, but I would never.... EVER.... sell off my music stuff. I've been in really really tough spots before, but not once did I ever consider selling my Carvin, let alone a custom Fender that was built specifically for me.
    No way.

14. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

And at twenty grand, he can't even kick in the shipping - jeez.

15. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Depends on the buyer. If it's to play, maybe not. If it's an investment to sell in the future, then maybe.

16. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I think that's a pretty cool looking bass. But for $20,000? Nope.

17. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Maybe he came onto some hard times........but 20 grand!!

18. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    I'd buy it, just to see the look on every producer's face when they tell me to bring a fender.

19. sam adams

sam adams

May 21, 2009
    Oof. Serious second hand embarrassment.

I'm sure it's a fantastic bass. But once you hit the $2k-$5k mark, any more than that and you're simply paying for fame.

Certainly his fame is nowhere near $20k... He's a great player, but AAF was pretty much a one hit wonder, and their hit was a cover song at that... Maybe if he was trying to unload it in 2002 he could get half that?

20. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    made my 'effing day with that one!