Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

20-30 Footers on the North Shore

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Yeah, I've seen video of what's happening UNDER the surface in surf like that...boulders the size of houses rolling back and forth...uh uh, not me brah, not gettin' in that stuff...gimme them "bathtub" waves on the Atlantic Coast of Florida, yeah! ;)

...I did see 15-16'+ at Sebastian Inlet once however, and I had the same reaction: Not me!

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This one's for you, Bodhi.

Sincerely,
    Johnny Utah

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Yow! 5 footers, measured Hawaiian style (the back, not the face), are already crushing. Once it gets much over head high, I'm out. Me lurves the waves, but me lurves da breathin' mo bettah... :cool:

Just for a little perspective, this is maybe 20-25 feet or so Hawaiian:

[​IMG]

Once it gets bigger than this, you probably need a tow-in, not to mention a huge amount of testosterone. :eyebrow:
    Lots more pics from Jaws off Maui's north shore here: http://www.jonoknight.com/jaws.html

5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    awesome pictures passinwind - those guys are Crazy!

Just curious, ever had the urge to try kiteboarding?
    Looks like a lot of fun.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I had a chance to be on the North Shore one time during a storm.

Simply amazing.

-Mike

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I have a photographer friend who's ridden in for a few shoots at Jaws on a wave runner. Then they cut him loose in the water and surfers strafe him on the wave, oh man!

A lot of my friends kite, so I'm sure I'll take a shot one of these days. The Gorge isn't the easiest place to learn, it's very gusty and a bit too windy here a lot of the time. I might take a lesson ot two the next time I get over to Maui, although the reefs freak me out enough already on a windsurfer. I've kind of been waiting for the kiting safety factor to improve, which I think is now finally happening. To see what I mean about the downside, go here: Kitemares.

Quite a few people I know have gotten pretty roughed up. The learning curve is monumentally quicker than windsurfing though. That's one of the hardest sports to learn there is, I think. Kiters get huge air, it's completely sick to watch. I'm more into speed and swerving, and really extreme wind, which is what a sailboard does best. "Life after 40" has a different connotation around here. :bassist:

8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Did anyone ever catch that NGC story on the biggest waves ever? I think they must have been 50 ft at least, and some hawaiian nutjobs decided to go surf on it. They went out with 9 but only 7 came back. A French camerateam caught it all on tape.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

It wasn't "the hundred year storm" was it?

brad cook

10. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I went to Hawaii last winter in Oahu, and went up the North Shore. I saw the tail end of a Hurley surf competition and the waves were probably at least 15-18 feet tall. It was so amazing.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It was January 1994.

-Mike