20-fret neck replacement for a 21-fret Ibanez rb650

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BoskeBassman, Apr 5, 2020.

1. BoskeBassman

BoskeBassman

Apr 5, 2020
    Ibanez rb650 - 1984 - Made in Japan

The original Ibanez neck is a 34-inch scale, 21 frets maple neck - Full body, no over hang.

It is to bent and I cannot repair it.

I am looking for Chinese replacement necks from 60-100 Euros. There are 21 fret versions, but not as many as the standard 20-fret version.

Now my question is, can I put a 20-fret neck on the body of the - Ibanez rb650.
    The 20-fret replacement necks have the same length like the original Ibanez?

From nut to the "real" end of the neck it's 24.4 inches.
    Will I have to adjust the bridge position, or can I just move the saddles forward or backwards, because of the intonation?

Sorry for the bad english.

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    You can leave a gap between the heel of the new neck and the body then everything can still be correct. Butting the heel of the neck into the body will throw everything off by about 12 mm. Most basses don't have 12 mm to spare behind the bridge.

Rilence, Cliff Colton and Qlanq like this.
  3. BoskeBassman

BoskeBassman

Apr 5, 2020
    Anyone
    Ok thanks, great advice!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021