20 mm between strings

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jaco51, Oct 19, 2002.

1. jaco51

jaco51 Guest

Feb 2, 2002
    What do you think of 20mm between the strings, is it large or can I get used to it?

I'm checking out a seven string, and would like to know what you think and know.

2. 20mm is kinda wide, but I'm sure you could get used to it. Although IME, the more strings you add, the smaller the string spacing gets. A 20mm spaced 7 string would be a huge neck width.
  3. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    at what end of the neck?
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I do hope it's not at the nut! :D

It'd definitely be too wide for me. There are surely some guys who play 20 mm 7-strings and are perfectly happy with that, but there is absolutely no guarantee you will be. It's definitely a "try before you buy" kind of thing. Buy it sight unseen and you may have problems reselling it if it's too much to handle - there is almost no market at all for a 7-string that wide...
  5. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    it MUST be at the bridge end...even so you would need fingers 12 foot long to play it comfy like....too wide for me bro!

dont mug yourself ....get a smaller neck!
  6. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    the Warwick SSI 5 I've owned had a 20mm string spacing.. it wasn't that hard to get used ot.. just think of playing a 4 string with 1 more string added to it with the same string spacing.. it gets awhile to get used to.. makes slapping on a 5 MUCH easier