$20 strings with long life?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mike Money, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I bought GHS boomers 2 days ago, and today the A and E strings are already thumpy and have no life in them at all. So now I get to drag my arse to GC tommorow to get new strings.

I am on a budget, and intend to get EB Extra Slinkies.

But if you know of another brand that is $20 or so and the strings don't die real quick, please do tell.
  2. warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    first off I would say theres something wrong with your strings and would see if you could get them replaced, they should not sound like that after 2 days unless your doing something extreme to them or have your hand dipped in honey before you play.

Next is the slinkeys that you plan on buying are to my understanding the fastest dying strings there are, granted i have not personaly used them and I could be dead wrong, but ive allways heard that they go dead fast.

As for strings that will last for around 20 bucks... DR all the way.

Also you might try boiling the strings you have now, or soaking them in alchahol just to see if that might fix the problem.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Don't boil, use alcohol if you have to.
    Wipe your strings clean and wash your hands before playing.

Pyramid Pyrasounds, 15 Euro/$
  4. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
  5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Are all these carried at geetar center?
  6. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Get some DR's. They last forever(well, at least a few months. You dont even need to stretch them, they stay in tune right after you put them in. GC carries them.
  7. StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002
    Does "DR" stand for anything?
  8. one thing DR stands for is Dominican Republic and also Doctor..........
  9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Another vote for DR's
  10. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    DRs have great life...
  11. Infested_Leming

Jun 29, 2003
    I have a set of Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys that are about a month or so old, with daily use on them. I'd say they're holding up pretty well with about an hour or so each day worth of play on them. We'll see how well that all works out though I suppose.
  12. my ernie balls lasted a long time too
  13. My Stainless Steel Smith strings have lasted me long too, and I don't normally wash my hands before playing(then again don't ever get my hands too greasy)..my teacher has had the same set on one of his basses for over a year and they still sound like they're 3 months old...