1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

200 bucks.....seriously?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ESPplayer, Apr 22, 2009.

1. ESPplayer

ESPplayer

Nov 17, 2006
  2. They look pretty cool.

3. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I have the G*itar version and I absolutely love it - those pickups are awesome, pure and clear, and the chambered body is punchy and responsive. Weighs nothing, too! I saw several videos of people testing out the Dano 63 bass and it does have a sweet sound to it, but it seems they dropped the price 100$.

I played the old Dano 63 basses that were out in the early 2000s with the wooden bridges. I was almost going to buy one right then and there, the tone is really killer - and the new ones with adjustable bridges and better pickups would be ... better. It DOES have a truss rod, but you have to take the neck off to adjust it, that's my only gripe.

I'd most certainly jump on that if I had the money right now. They make a short scale version too.

EDIT:

http://www.danguitars.com/Page.html - theres the page with the videos and sound clips.

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I always liked Fat Mike's Danelectro tone on the more recent NoFX albums.

5. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

They're being discontinued. So MF is blowing them out. Pick one up now while they last.

6. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    I was sad when i saw that the lipstick pickups outer shell wasn't made out of metal and were anti-shiny.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  8. Made for Surf Music! Looks like fun.

9. spigmu

spigmu

Mar 25, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I dig the way the "white" areas are yellowed/eggshell instead of white.

10. Yeah, the newest reissues (hornet guitar and baritone, and longhorn bass) are coming soon.

I tried out one of these now-discontinued short scale basses a few months ago and really liked it. If I had $200 to spare I would buy one immediately.

11. The one I played sounded great but the build quality was rather cheeezy :) They're built sort of like a Reverend but not NEARLY as solid. $200 is about right for what you end up with.

12. BlackEdition

BlackEdition

Mar 30, 2009
    i bought one. it came and i was actually impressed by the build quality. i had really low expectations for the build quality. it is a plywood bass after all.

i have the one in aqua.

i find the finish great. the finish on the neck is satin black and awesome. the neck came dead straight on mine. the only problem was the action was high at the neck pocket. i got the neck shimmed and it plays great now. it is definitely worth $200 bucks.

it is really different. i like it a lot. it is ridiculously light. the only complaint that i have other than the neck needing shimmed is that mine came with a weak and possibly broken tone pot.

that is an easy and inexpensive fix.

13. Does anyone have any pics of theirs?

14. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    They had 2 at a local store...I got to play the short scale one, and I was really impressed by it. The neck was faster than I would have imagined, the setup was shockingly good.

The long scale one was sold within the hour it came in, the other lasted 2 days.

For the price, I'd seriously consider one.

15. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    Damn you!

Bought an aqua one.

16. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I had a DC bass reissue about 9 years ago. I REALLY regret selling it. It was killer. I always thought I could just buy another one if I wanted it, then they discontinued them just after I sold mine. Now you cannot find them. I was such an idiot...:scowl:

17. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Anyone have any sound clips?

18. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Look at post #3 above. ;)

19. BlackEdition

BlackEdition

Mar 30, 2009
  20. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Got the aqua. Like I needed another bass.