Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$200 for a 10 minute gig ***!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ole Jason, Sep 3, 2005.

1. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    So there was a talent contest of sorts for the "East KY State Fair" this year. The winner of the contest got a cash prize and a chance to open for the headlining act. A steel drum combo that a friend plays in won the contest but it turns out he couldn't play so I got to sub.

We arrived "early" at about 4:30, we were supposed to play at 6. After sitting through the soundcheck for a country band they were ready to soundcheck us. The soundman didn't want to put anything through the monitors for the drummer because he didn't have enough wires and it would "mess everything up" for the headlining act, which was fine because the headliner gets priority but it seemed odd. So after getting mics on all the percussion they tell us they are ready and announce us. After playing two songs the soundman gives us the ole "one more" sign.

So... I got $200 for a 10 minute gig. I guess it's cool but I feel bad that the promoters paid out so much money for a band that played such a short time. They could have got tons of great local bands to play for free. I suppose they wanted something different though. :eyebrow:

2. Oh yeah....Sounds great!
    You're lucky....

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hey, you drove there, set your stuff up, and tore it down. I always tell people who complain that they paid too much money for too short a set that I don't get paid for playing...that's the fun part. I get paid for driving there, setting up, tearing down, and coming home. Plus you did play for free at the contest. So don't feel the least bit guilty about it. You earned it.

4. Yeah...there's a lot more time put into a show then just the onstage time. I mean, there's practice, travel, set up, tear down, waiting around for other acts and sound checks to get done, etc.

5. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Hell I was doing a wedding gig a few years ago and the electricity grid in the area went down..we ended up playing 3 tunes and packing up....still got paid our full fee tho.....a great night.

6. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The way I like to look at it is that I get paid to travel there and to lug in and set up the gear, and lug it out at the end of the night. I play for free, that's the fun part . . . . it helps my state of mind . . .

As for "freaky payment", just this past weekend, one of our three shows was a wedding. Not only did they give us the check for the $2,000 gig three days before the gig, but they "tipped" us a few hundred extra on that same check . . . THREE DAYS BEFORE the gig . . . . I've done lots of weddings over the years, but an advance tip was a first . . .

8. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

3 days in advance + tips???!!! :eek: :eek: Nicely done

9. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    I ran sound for a band once that was hired to play in this bar attached to a movie theater. They were loud, obnoxious, and not good, but they were paying me something like 50 dollars (plus they let me and my girlfriend be on the band tab) and I was jonesing to try out some new PA and light gear, so I accepted.

We got there a little before 7:30, expecting to start at 9 (as the band was told). So we start setting up, only to discover that a big basketball game was starting at 7:30. So yes setup, no soundcheck.

2 hours, 15 minutes later, the game is finally over, and the band opts to not do a sound check since they're getting started 45 minutes late. They rock into their first tune. I'd tell you what it was if I could recognize it... lol... Anyway, about halfway through the song, the manager comes up to me and asks "Are all their songs going to sound like this?" My reply: "Probably so."

Manager disappears and returns at the end of the first tune and starts talking to the lead singer. Apparently, the owner of the theater had come in to watch a movie, and he didn't like the music being played. So he told them to stop. He was perfectly content to override the radio station that was promoting the whole thing, and just tell the band to shut up.

Well, I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to test my equipment very much, but at the same time, my ears were already bleeding from the sheer volume they were putting out (it's not a big bar, so I only brought a small system thinking that it would suffice), and my amps were pumping too hard for them. SO, I feigned annoyance along with the rest of the band, packed up, took my fifty bucks (I think the whole band only got paid 200 or so), and left.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, at least you can say you've played a $1200/hour gig!

...well, if you don't count the time you spent sitting around waiting to play. ;)